Our refuse collection

It used to be weekly. Recently it's been fortnightly. The gang said that it was because the amount of rubbish in the bins had reduced considerably in recent months and most bins were less than half full.
Hurrah!
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

Lucky you - I've had one collection in 3 months (or they may have managed it twice, I forget). My local refuse operatives have apparently, over the years, contrived to get householders to do half their job for them by way of depositing bin liners on the pavement, and I won't play ball with the lazy sods. (The council's stated policy is collection from bins easily accessed on premises).
--
"Programmers do it in loops."

If you won't play ball why should they ?
:-)
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

It's not supposed to be a ball-game, more a supplier and customer thing.
[Don't worry, I noticed the smiley.]
--
"SPECIMEN: An Italian astronaut."

Deliver to reception of council offices?
Andy Hall wrote:

They're not in when I'm in, sadly. I can manage, but I shouldn't have to. The service is paid for, under threat of prosecution, and not provided.
--
"Science asks why. I ask why not."

We have an excellent service, not everyone seems to be as fortunate.
Mary

Increasingly common. I was told yesterday that the police in Northants will no longer attend alarm activations at domestic premises. I imagine their council tax has not decreased at all.
At lest if you paid the Mafia protection money, they came round once a week to collect it.
--
"Other people are not your property."
On 15 Dec 2006 14:22:56 GMT, Huge wrote:

I have just received a note from my "friendly local council[1]" that from July 2001 refuse collection will be made only once per fortnight, one the alternate weeks the council will only remove "recyclable materials. Where the definition of "recyclable" is "paper, cardboard, tin cans and PET bottles." umm that's it. There will also be provision of a "free bag for the collection of garden waste."
So since I already compost all of the waste from the garden, and I compost all the waste paper and cardboard or alternatively burn it for fuel in a multifuel stove, what this "good news" means is that I get colelctions of refuse halved *and* council tax is to be massively increased with a revaluation to add to the increase. We don't buy much in cans or in PET, so my "recyclable materials" bin will mostly be empty.
[1] AKA "That Useless Bunch of Gobshites"
Steve Firth wrote:

I compost

Do you compact the paper/card into bricks in some way (other than scrunch it up!)? If so how?
Cheers, Rob
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:20:10 +0000, Rob wrote:

No, just roll up newspapers and crimp the roll to stop it unwinding. As long as it's a mixed load of fuel the paper burns away to ash.
Steve Firth wrote:

OK, thanks. I think some sort of domestic paper press would be a useful addition to homes with multi-fuel fires.
Rob
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 19:04:05 +0000, Rob wrote:

ICBA, all the ones I have seen involve wetting the paper and pressing it into a brick which then (presumably) takes days to dry out. In future I'm thinking of getting a pellet making machine to turn olive wood chips into stove pellets. If I get one I'll experiment adding shredded paper to the chips.

Days? More like months.

When placed on the gantries surrounding a power station boiler they are dry in a day or so. Still a complete waste of effort though.
John Laird wrote:

We are told to place refuse/recycling at the property boundary, NOT on the public footpath.
The council have now pointed out (in their annual bank holiday collection re-organisation leaflet) that, "as from April 2006 this Authority has the power to impose a fine of 100 on residents presenting their refuse on the pavement."
Terry wrote:

We can get 'fined' 45 for putting rubbish out on the wrong day - even the night before apparently.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Sadly, I doubt Medway will enforce this. Of course, they would not have to IF people acted responsibly. Why do people feel it is OK to dump household refuse on the pavement, road, etc.?
Brian
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:24:54 GMT someone who may be "Brian Reay"

It is not always a matter of dumping things. The City of Edinburgh Council have kidnapped waste bins from some restaurants. Their "crime" was to "present" (what a ridiculous word) their bins overnight.
The Council arrogantly assert that businesses should "present" their bin at certain times. The only problem is that these times are often quite ridiculous, such as between 07:00 and 08:00. Someone who closes up a restaurant in the early hours is not going to come back at 07:00. Neither is someone going to come into an office at that time.
All it needs is for the Council to be grown up, but that is not something they are noted for.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

In our case, if we leave it 1mm inside the property line, they don't take it.