OT: Windows 8

Personally, I quite like the Win 10 Start menu - sort of blend between the Win 7 and Win 8 ones. It also has the right click pop up menu like on Win 8.1.

Then again I'm not a great Start Menu user, delving around to find programs Most stuff I want regularly is pinned to the taskbar, or I just search.

I quite like the tablety notification pane on the left as well (action center?)

I don't use win 8 regularly though so don't know if things are missing that are useful

Reply to
Chris French

En el artículo , Andy Burns escribió:

Ta. Fair enough. The tech previews aren't bad, I posted a mini-review to uk.comp.homebuit a while ago which I'll post here if I can find it.

I do feel, though, the sheeple are rushing to upgrade because a) it's "free" (and I use that word advisedly), and b) because 10>8>7 so it's automatically "better".

Mini-reviewette follows (bear in mind this was a while ago and an early release though)

.....ooooOOOOOoooo....

I downloaded the x86 version of Win10 TP and after drawing the pentagram on the floor and lighting the black candles, installed it onto a sacrificial machine that I had knocking around. Pretty low spec - Athlon

64 3500+ (2.2GHz), 2GB DDR400 RAM, old 400GB 7200rpm IDE drive, GeForce FX5200 AGP video card.

Although the cpu is 64-bit, the x64 version of Win10 would not install. It halted with a STOP error (0x5d IIRC) and instructed me to hold down the power button to power off. Presumably it needs certain instructions and the CPU is too old to have them. The x86 (32-bit) version installed fine.

It prompted me to sign in with, or create a M$ account during install but didn't enforce it.

Installation was quick - it took less time to install than it did to burn the DVD on another machine.

There are no Win8/8.1/10 drivers available for the ancient GeForce FX5200 video card, but I installed the latest ones for Windows Vista and those worked. Everything else was recognised except the on-board Realtek audio.

In use, have to say I'm pretty blown away by how fast it is on such low- end hardware. It was a real eye-opener.

All the crap that came with 8 is gone - no booting into TIFKAM, no Charms bar popping up at random, etc. The Live Tiles are now attached to the Start menu and look OK there.

The virtual desktops are there and they work. Switching is done via the Task View icon next to the start button, or by Ctrl-Win-left/right arrow keys. Switching is instant.

Took my life into my hands and plugged in a network cable. It automatically and silently installed the sound drivers, so I suddenly had audio. Opening websites in IE is bloody quick, again impressive considering the hardware.

Tried the "App Store" but it wanted me to sign in with a Microsoft account, even to download the free stuff, so gave that a swerve.

Pressing the Win key and searching for Calc gives you two options - one is the normal Windows Calc, the other is the dumbed-down Metro-fied one. Why? What's the point?

Metro apps now have the three icons (minimise, maximise, close) in the top right corner and can be resized.

It found the media server on the LAN and happily played a number of .mp4 movies I tried. Again, playback, even full-screen on a 24" 1080p monitor, was flawless. Impressive considering the hardware spec.

It is totally, totally dependent on an internet connection - there's little to no built-in help for example, you need a network connection. Trying to do anything with the default set of apps requires you to sign in to your M$ account.

The traditional Control Panel is there, but so is 'PC Settings', a Metro-fied, dumbed-down version.

Didn't like the 'flat' appearance much at first - very similar to going from iOS 6 to the 'flat' iOS 7 on iThings - but it's starting to grow on me.

Installed LibreOffice as a test which runs fine.

As far as I can see, it's basically a quicker version of Windows 7 with a suite of unnecessary Metro apps different in appearance to traditional Windows apps for no good reason and which only causes confusion, a warmed-over Start button with Fisher Price tiles glued on, and a really heavy heroin dependency on an internet connection.

You will not be able to use this OS satisfactorily without it being able to suckle the teat of the mothership. And that's what it is all about, uploading your life to M$'s servers. Privacy, what privacy?

The insistence on being signed in online is, I think, a step further down the road of Office-365 style rental model where you pay to hire software, rather than purchasing a licence and installing it.

In use, the network light flashes pretty much constantly as it talks to the mothership. Putting a packet sniffer on this traffic would be interesting.

I can't see business going for this. There's too much confusion caused by the dogmatic insistence on the mixture of Metro and traditional apps. The non-stop talking to Microsoft's servers will be a serious security concern. It might gain some de-facto acceptance by being bundled with new machines, but as the PC hardware market is dying on its feet, market penetration is going to be minimal.

If you get it pre-installed with a new machine, it'll probably be OK as long as you're willing to sign over your soul to M$ and have a fast Internet connection. If you have a an existing working Win7 or 8.1 machine and are happy with it, it's not different enough to be worth the upgrade.

.....ooooOOOOOoooo....

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It may or it may not, but I am not convinced that extrapolating doom and despair from just the fact the auto update install is broken at the mo is really justified.

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Your words, not mine

if it's indicative of the state of the code as a whole, a month away from release, there is going to be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. And probably interminable off-topic threads in this group by idiots who installed it without thinking.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

That invite isn't for a test version and they haven't released any yet. There is a win8.1 update out there that appears to cause trouble for a few people, its nothing to do with win10.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , dennis@home escribió:

*sigh*

Free clue, since you're somewhat lacking in same.

Mike Tomlinson

Sorry, my eye had skipped over the word "how" which rather twisted the meaning of the rest ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

I'm referring to the current public build 10074

The help might change in RTM version though I guess. I've not had to sign in to an MS account to use any of the built in apps that I can remember.

Whilst it's true that is does push using a MS account when you install, you don't have too do that. I've run mine without it being signed into an MS account. It's true that you do need to use an MS account to use the store, but doesn't even need to be the same ms account you use to sign in to windows (if you do such a thing). And you can if you want signout from the store once you have installed something.

And you can always install programs as normal. Though that can lead to oddities - e.g if you install VLC from the store you get the Modern app, install from the vlc website and you get the standard windows program.

Reply to
Chris French

En el artículo , Chris French escribió:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

So you don't have a clue then as the bug I was referring to exists.

So you re on the fast release and have failed to update your win10 then?

I'm not that interested that I want to be on the fast release path, its too buggy for me.

Reply to
dennis

En el artículo , dennis@home escribió:

The fast release path is the code that's going to be released next month. Fuckwit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Well its been released every month for several months so far so FU.

Reply to
dennis

Indeed... still use late adopters need a stream of early adopting lemmings to allow us a better view of the cliff face ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió:

Leading edge = bleeding edge.

Let the Dennises^W fuckwits^W early adopters do Microsoft's beta^W alpha testing for them while the rest of us sit back and wait for Windows

10.1.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Start Menu: I good idea is to arrange the whole Start Menu so that you need only to press the Windows key to activate the menu and then the subset of keys of each folder to reach the program you wish to run. Pressing the first letter of the program will start it. Avoid same starting character in names by prefixing it with something other.

Reply to
RayL12

I haven't bothered to organise my start menu for years - probably since I moved to win 7 - not sure that the behaviour you rely on is in Vista or later anyway since they introduced the search on the start menu. The only time I think I delve into all programs part of the start menu is if I can't dins it on a seach for some reason (rarely used, oddly named, or not installed normally the answer

Commonly used programs get pinned to the Taskbar and start menu, some get a ctrl+alt keyboard shortcut assigned to run them. And the start menu search brings things up quickly otherwise.

Reply to
Chris French