OT: Windows 8

The main difference is that when you click connect, if it needs to prompt for credentials, it does so in a separate pop up normal window.

Indeed with a touch interface its much easier to close something by touching elsewhere than it is to force clicking a close gadget (or typing CTRL+F4). It gets round limitations of a touch interface. Alas on a non touch desktop it does not belong.

(same way as adding a user throws you out to the metro users app)

More to the point, I try to educate all around me that if you put a single fingerprint on my screen, I will break your fingers! Last thing you need on a desktop is having to stare at everything through an oily smeary glaze.

Its a sony thing IIUC.

(I had to smile at a clients place last week - I sat down at a relatively new ASUS i5 laptop that I had upgraded with a SSD, and sold them a few months back - thinking ah yes, this was one of those nice ones with the built in 3G/4G radio, and fingerprint scanner. Needless to say you could no longer see the FP scanner since it was hidden under a number of "post it" notes that were sellotaped over the palmrest with all vital stuff like an internal telephone extensions list, and login details for the main web sites they use)

Reply to
John Rumm

In fact I take that back - I just found it on my Win 8 machine ;-)

(you have to go into the toy town "pc settings" other world though to find it, which is why I had not seen it!)

Reply to
John Rumm

A bit like avoiding all the single word title Schwarzenegger movies ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Go back a few years with the company for which I work, every corporate imposed application had non-changeable _different_ user name and the passwords had to be regularly changed secure types with a minimum length, not related to the previous password, containing a mix lower/upper case letters, numbers and other keyboard characters. As a result nearly everyone kept a easily accessible list on paper of the user names and passwords. The resulting security was exactly the opposite of what was intended.

Reply to
alan_m

The password is stuck on a piece of paper to the inside of the desk drawer. Clean desk policies don't necessarily improve security.

Reply to
alan_m

On 30 May 2015, Tony Bryer grunted:

Seems to me that M$ set far too much emphasis on 'virgin' PC users. It was the same when they did that big Office upgrade, when the dreaded 'ribbon' was introduced - was it from 2003 to 2007? Every seasoned Office user I know hated the new interface with a passion, whereas I believe newbies found it easier and more intuitive.

Reply to
Lobster

Hmm, so you can get an image of whatever (version of Windows 8) you want, just as an ordinary user?

Ok.

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok thanks. Easy to enable (as I don't have that laptop or W8 any more)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hehe, exactly. I learned long time ago (and often proven when working for Kodak on their microfiche and film kit) that 'people' associate an externally clean unit for a 'better working' one. If I'm fixing a laptop (friends / family), after it's fixed the screen / case get a careful clean, as does the keyboard (all the cruft Hoovered out). I've seen people smile as I get the to fire it up and they often say 'it looks like new'. Yes it does ... partly because you can now see the display without looking though said oily smeary glaze. ;-)

... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, and that explains why I couldn't find it either then. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I thought it was because 9 in German sounds like 'no'?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I suspect that's for the same reason as at our place, which is;

User; "I want an iPad" IT; "We don't support iPads. Are you sure you just don't want a tablet?" User; "I want an iPad" IT; "Sorry, but we're a Microsoft house. Here's a 'Surface'"

This is amusing, too, if a bit dated;

(Contains swearing and stupid user.)

Reply to
Huge

I've been using Office for decades (sadly) and I prefer the ribbon.

Reply to
Huge

Same here. I started with Word 4 (I think) for DOS....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can trump that; I started with the Xerox Document Editor on the Star workstation, which was written by Charles Simonyi, who was also responsible for Word. Early versions of Word were ... familiar.

:o)

Reply to
Huge

So what exactly does it do better than WIN 7 then ?...

Reply to
tony sayer

By choice I still use Lotus WordPro - makes so many things easier to do than Word. I wrote the last of our software manuals using Word simply because I expect manual and Word to be around for a long long time.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

You can get a word like editor for linux- runs in a console!

I have to say that if I want quality output, these days I am using SCRIBUS.

FAR better control over text and image placements.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

starts and runs better than Windows 7.?

I have now got (using SSD) boot times on my linux down to the level where is no pain to switch it off at night ;-)

I think its about 30 seconds in all.

Windows XP resumes from 'saved state' in virtual box in a similar time.

So I have all the options I need with almost no downsides at all

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What was or is wrong with it John?...

Reply to