OT: Windows 8

I still supply Win 7 laptops* pretty much exclusively at the moment... don't think I have bought a win 8 laptop in ages.

(to say business appetite for Win 8 machines is "low" would be a mastery of understatement!)

  • Well win 7 Pro Win 8.1 dual license with 7 preloaded.
Reply to
John Rumm

Nothing like leg amputation in fact.

Reply to
Simon263

Underneath there is probably something a bit better than Win 7 in some respects. Alas not all the gerbil cruft can be cleaned off as yet.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nope, and that is my config.

Once the entire "metro" interface is

Don?t need to banish it, I launch and select the app I want to use from the quicklaunch toolbar just like I do with 7 and only ever use the text box for the stuff I don?t use often enough to have pinned to the QL toolbar.

The charms bar also

Works fine here.

Like hell it does, that's how I use them.

Doesn?t do that either.

Its completely trivial to use the Win7 UI if you don?t like it.

Reply to
Simon263

On 29/05/2015 09:25, John Rumm wrote: ...

OTOH, talking to a schoolteacher recently, they love it for the tablets the kids all get these days.

Reply to
Nightjar

Sure, but that just makes it easier to use once its upgraded.

He original claim that 8.1 is virtually unusable is just plain wrong.

Reply to
Simon263

I saw a video of a bloke with no hands on Youtube who could change a bike inner tube.

Seriously...

Reply to
Tim Watts

That goes on the very few Windoze servers I have to run...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yeah, saw the same youtube video. Amazing.

Nothing like what you need to do with 8.1

Reply to
Simon263

For XP there was nLite; for Vista there was vLite - is there any equivalent for W7/8? My XP Pro has been pared down and has run well for about 10 years. I'm considering building a new PC and would like to butcher the new OS in the same way.

Reply to
PeterC

So why not switch to Linux and be rid of Winblows forever? The same comment applies.

Reply to
Huge

GUIs on servers? [Shakes head sadly.]

Reply to
Huge
[14 lines snipped]

We're skipping it altogether. And we have ~300,000 licenses.

Reply to
Huge

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

Are you jumping to Windows 10, or going Linux?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

How else am I going to admin a Windows 2008 server over an RDP connection? And no, I do not have enough to be bothered with an AD domain, policies and management systems. Ironically most of them are to hold the VMWare infrastructure together (vCenter server which can be virtual[1], Veeam backup, Veeam Monitor and a general expendible server that spans the main and management vSwitches for installing "dodgey" software on (ie non core, such as temporary load assessing utils and the like).

I made the decision to not have AD there (apart from the learning curve) as I wanted zero dependencies on at least the 2 critical servers.

This is a VM BTW so technically headless, but it does still have a virtual "head"

Reply to
Tim Watts

My lot have adopted it but some might consider that a good argument to do the opposite :) I could not possibly comment...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Seems to be a common approach... lets just hope they don't build any show stoppers into 10.

Reply to
John Rumm

[1] later versions of ESXi have an option for a linux vCenter server.
Reply to
Tim Watts

Indeed, away from the desktop it makes more sense.

Reply to
John Rumm

You could use the solution I do; say "fix this" to the Windows server admin.

Of course, this doesn't work well if you *are* the Windows server admin.

Anyway, my sadness was aimed at Redmond, not at the poor souls who have to use their execrable products to earn their daily crust.

Reply to
Huge