Sketchup and Windows 8

Can't find a Sketchup download for Windows 8, except for Softonic and they insist on installing their toolbar and search tool. Any ideas?

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

insist on installing their toolbar and search tool. Any ideas?

Did you try this one?

Bill

Bill ...

The Trimble site says the free version supports windows 7/Vista/XP. I'd like to either get a Windows 8 version or hear from someone using the 7/Vista/XP version on a Win8 machine.

Larry

insist on installing their toolbar and search tool. Any ideas?

Reply to
Gramp's shop

to either get a Windows 8 version or hear from someone using the 7/Vista/XP version on a Win8 machine.

I would just try it and see what happens. If you have the "professional" version of Windows 8, you will probably even be able to run it in "compatibility" mode (at least that was a version on Win7 Pro). Good luck!

Bill

insist on installing their toolbar and search tool. Any ideas?

Reply to
Bill

to either get a Windows 8 version or hear from someone using the 7/Vista/XP version on a Win8 machine.

insist on installing their toolbar and search tool. Any ideas?

In 7 Pro you can do even one beter - XP Mode in a VM.

Not sure about Win 8 - I think you need an XP licence and VirtualBox

Reply to
clare

insist on installing their toolbar and search tool. Any ideas?

I have tried the SketchUp download on Windows 8 and I have not seen any problems. I just got the Win8 machine a few days ago so I do not have a lot of time on it yet but everything seems fine.

I also saw a report from Swingman on this newsgroup that it runs for him on Win8. (That was a factor in my decision to go ahead and get a Win8 machine.)

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Thanks, Dan. Are you running Sketchup Pro or the free version?

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Aye ... SU runs fine on Win 8 on my 6 year old Dell XPS 1210 field laptop, despite the fact that I'm using MSFT's default drivers for the video/graphics system (the laptop was upgraded to Win8 from Vista).

AAMOF, been on an out of town job for the past three weeks and have been using nothing but this old laptop/Win8 to run SU during that entire time ... including the SpaceNavigator.

Reply to
Swingman

It should make no difference.

Reply to
Swingman

I am running the free version. I think that swingman runs the pro version.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Trimble doesn't designate its compatibility with Win8. Same for Picasa.

Most of the time there simply has not been enough testing to announce without a doubt that the program will play nicely on a newer OS. That never means that there will problems just that they will not have a fix or explanation should you run in to an isolated problem. And it could mean that the program will not run on Win 8 exactly as MS would expect it to run, again not that that would necessarily matter.

Reply to
Leon