Windows 8 trial

I wasted over an hour downloading this trial on my other PC. I have decided I do not now want it, but it doesn't tell me how to revert to the original XP ! Anyone know how ?

did you partition the disk first, or just overwrite xp? if you just overwrote XP you may be in trouble!
Allan Mac wrote:

The instructions didn't mention partitioning the disk - it implied it was just a temporary installation. And it certainly didn't mention overwriting XP.
Jim Hawkins wrote:

Your XP (and data you had stored on the hard disk) is toast :-(
Backup?
Yes windows 8 even calls some of its messages toasts I see..
Normally, if you want it to not be permanent, you need to install as a multi boot system when it shoves in another partition and makes one primary.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" < snipped-for-privacy@adslpipe.co.uk> wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:

Android calls little pop-up messages toasts, don't think I heard the term used before that.

Can you be more specific about the "trial" you downloaded? I ask as Windows releases do not usually allow you to revert and I'd be very surprised if you can now. And MS usually make this pretty clear. Eg the Windows 8 release preview carries a pretty clear warning:
"Important: If you decide to go back to your previous operating system, you'll need to reinstall it from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC, which is typically DVD media. If you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create it from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more information. After you install Windows 8, you won't be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows."
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid
"Robin" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On 27/06/2012 22:42, Robin wrote:

Let me get this right. Microsoft have given you a Windows 8 trial that will at some point expire. At this point you either have to pay for the release version or your PC will be useless because there is no facility for returning to XP. Nice.
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 14:47:12 +0100, Andrew May wrote:

As far as I know, no MS OSes allow for an reversion, trial or not. In fact it wasn't until recently they allowed for multiple boots.

You mean since windows 2000?

Quite a few do, actually.

Depends on what you call recently. That’s been around for well before XP.

Given that the 2nd sentence is bulshit, how can I trust the 1st?
MBQ

I can't say that's wrong but I saw it rather as MS giving me a free trial of Windows 8 which I have installed on an old, spare hard drive to see what I think of it, while I continue to be able to use my XP system as before. And, as I and Brian indicated, they do make it pretty clear that if anyone just installs over their current OS there'll be no going back.
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Its a preview. They tell you to make sure you can revert using whatever method you like before you install it. Its like linux, they don't provide a method to revert either. You either reinstall or restore a backup.

More denbollocks(tm). Linux distros are available that are designed explicitly for those who want to try before they commit irrevocably to a full install of the OS. These distros offer fully reversible options such as live CDs, installations that run only from ram disk or dual boot.
On 29/06/2012 10:15, Steve Firth wrote:

OK, but I installed Ubuntu from a live disc, after making a new partition or two, to make a dual boot Win 7 64-bit (spit) system, but there was no easy way to remove the Ubuntu OS after I found that it did not work well with the hardware, and kept crashing. I had to delete the Ubuntu partition and repair the Win boot sector / manager using a Windows 7 64-bit install disc downloaded from M$. But then I'm not fully up to speed with computer terminology and may have got it all wrong...
David
dennis@home wrote:

in this case he is of course 100% correct.
None of the things mentioned were an upgrade that could be rolled back easily. Even the dual boot would require manual changes.
Live CDs are pretty useless too. JGF pendrive linux if you want a live boot USB stick with persistent memory, far better.