Windows 8 trial

;-)

Reply to
The Night Tripper

OS X was *always* unix-based.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We have zfs and dtrace upstairs - at least in my office! FreeBSD though..

Reply to
Bob Eager

Oh, I know ports exists.

Problem is I need proper enterprise support for the systems. RedHat offer that on the basic level, but installing random bits of software and filesystem drivers kinda voids some of that

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Reply to
Bob Martin

Is that why 93% of the world's super-computers run Linux?

Reply to
Bob Martin

It's still not UNIX.

Reply to
Bob Eager

More denbollocks(tm). Linux distros are available that are designed explicitly for those who want to try before they commit irrevocably to a full install of the OS. These distros offer fully reversible options such as live CDs, installations that run only from ram disk or dual boot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

OK, but I installed Ubuntu from a live disc, after making a new partition or two, to make a dual boot Win 7 64-bit (spit) system, but there was no easy way to remove the Ubuntu OS after I found that it did not work well with the hardware, and kept crashing. I had to delete the Ubuntu partition and repair the Win boot sector / manager using a Windows 7 64-bit install disc downloaded from M$. But then I'm not fully up to speed with computer terminology and may have got it all wrong...

David

Reply to
David

Given that the 2nd sentence is bulshit, how can I trust the 1st?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Maybe he hasn't seen how much of it is GNU?

Reply to
dennis

Its also missing the compartmentalisation of the kernel need to get B2 (or better) security. You don't notice that until you can't sell your system into the places with cash.

Reply to
dennis

Reply to
dennis

in this case he is of course 100% correct.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Its irrelevant cr@p. None of the things mentioned were an upgrade that could be rolled back easily. Even the dual boot would require manual changes.

Live CDs are pretty useless too. JGF pendrive linux if you want a live boot USB stick with persistent memory, far better.

Reply to
dennis

Or install Wubuntu. It installs, automatically gives you a multiple boot setup to which you can add other distributions, and uninstalls without leaving a byte behind apart from any data generated by the user.

Reply to
John Williamson

All that proves is that it's jumped up a long way!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

En el artículo , The Natural Philosopher escribió:

The NT kernel (which is used in all x86 versions of Windows up to and including 8) is actually a pretty stable and reliable piece of software. It was designed by an ex-DEC engineer who worked on VMS.

As you say though, it's all the s**te that M$ piles on top that makes Windows unreliable.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Bob Eager escribió:

It's /a/ unix, but it isn't UNIX, which is trademarked.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson