Windows 8 trial

As far as I know, no MS OSes allow for an reversion, trial or not. In fact it wasn't until recently they allowed for multiple boots.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Jules Richardson

You have to pressure-wash it first, though.

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can't say that's wrong but I saw it rather as MS giving me a free trial of Windows 8 which I have installed on an old, spare hard drive to see what I think of it, while I continue to be able to use my XP system as before. And, as I and Brian indicated, they do make it pretty clear that if anyone just installs over their current OS there'll be no going back.

Reply to
Robin

Android is an OS that uses the linux kernel the same as mint is an OS that uses the linux kernel. Android is *not* linux in the sense most people refer to mint, ubuntu etc.

Reply to
dennis

You mean since windows 2000?

Reply to
dennis

Its a preview. They tell you to make sure you can revert using whatever method you like before you install it. Its like linux, they don't provide a method to revert either. You either reinstall or restore a backup.

Reply to
dennis

define most people

Seen latest Ubuntu Unity yet?

OSX is unix based these days...

ONLY windows STILL hasn't ported their bloatware to a stable underlying operating system.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The last one was cr@p, I am not sure I want to risk another one as they don't provide a method to return to windows.

OSX has always been "unix" based, well in as much as you can call BSD unix. However linux is not Unix based, it is just a functional copy of Unix and has not passed certification and probably never will.

Well windows stays up for months at a time so it isn't unstable.

Reply to
dennis

Yup. I tried Windows 8 a while ago and it does give dire warnings such as that. I just used a separate partition.

I can't say that I was impressed with it. 7 was good from the start, whereas 8 just seems disorienting and confusing.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I wouldn't consider it pointless. I run Windows throughout (XP, XP MCE, Vista, 7 and WHS 2011) and don't use Linux at all (I've tried a few times, but not really gone anywhere with it), but as he's going to have to wipe everything anyway, he may as well consider trying Linux while he has the chance.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

snipped-for-privacy@v9g2000vbc.googlegroups.com...

No, OSX is officially UNIX. It is entitled to use the name.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I always refer to Linux as a 'jumped up UNIX wannabe'. When giving my introductory lecture on UNIX.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Windows 7 is pretty good. As MS seem to mess up every other OS I'm not rushing into 8.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Yup, it's fine for me. I have a Windows 7 desktop just fro work stuff; everything else (including news!) is FreeBSD.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That doesn't make it a true statement though.

Linux is a thoroughly proven and developed kernel these days.

You may argue about the desktop and gui bloatware but the underlying kernel is as good as or better than any unix.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But it's not UNIX. Which was my point.

Reply to
Bob Eager

As someone who is migrating from Solaris to RedHat at the moment, it might be good, but it's certainly not Solaris :-)

Missing dtrace and zfs the most. Maybe the top notch Sun/Oracle support as well :-(

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman