OT: What's the point of voting signs on the side of the road with no policies on them?

What's the point of voting signs on the side of the road with no policies on them? I see things like "Vote Conservative" and nothing else. How will that sway anyone's opinion?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think the point is to remind people to actually vote. They are just adding the party for good measure.

I did think of getting one made up Vote Pillock instead. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

I don't get parties encouraging people to vote instead of not voting. More voters won't change the proportion for each candidate.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think most people vote for the party not the polly.

Anyway, the ones I saw today did not mention the polly, only the word "vote" followed by the party name.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Well if they put one of the current policies on them people would crash when they read it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

That reminds me. Some of the LED signs I see on roads are crazy. "Test your eyes are fit to drive" - er.... if you have bad eyesight, you wouldn't be able to read the sign. "Fog forecast" - er.... if you notice a fog warning sign, I think you'd also notice fog. "Belt up in the back" - Is that an instruction to tell loud kids to shut the f*ck up? "Wear your seatbelt, it's the law" - Yes we all know it's the law, I hardly think a sign will change anyone's mind on it.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Reply to
Andrew

Nobody whatsoever. Adverts have zero effect on me, especially childish little rhymes.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's called advertising, if yuo don;t know what that uis then you'll be caught out by it, which is why such things are used.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Now then, now then, now then, just because you're not in a car but are in my dressing room on a chair it doesn't mean you don't have to be secured to that chair while sucking on my special fruit cigar, little girl.

Reply to
whisky-dave

An advert persuades you to buy something by telling you what's good about it. "Vote Conservative" gives you no information. Have you ever seen a TV ad where someone just stands there and says "Buy Pepsi"?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Bloody hell, you actually pay attention to adverts? I didn't even know anyone was connected to it at all. I've seen the slogan on motorway signs, but I subconsciously ignore all actual adverts.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The 'Clunk Click every trip' advert is one of those that many people remember, and not because of the bloke paid to front it.

Ditto the BR advert fronted by the same bloke "This is the age of the train". Apparently people actually complained to the Advertising Standards Authority, on the basis that the impression being given of rail travel was complete fantasy and nothing like the real-world ghastly experience of BR in the 1970's.

Reply to
Andrew

I remeber them as a kid, quite scary seeing what happens as a egg or something goes though a car windscreen pretending to be yuor head, they were hosted by Jimmy saville.

whisky-dave

Yes, have you seen the adds in picadilly circus, how about the ticks on trainers and T-shirts, what does the crodule on lacross clothes say, buy crocodiles ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Didn't scare me, as I knew it was bullshit made up by the government.

Do you remember "and if it touches the live...." - a guy using a power drill with wires hanging out of a plug. What amused me was it was the earth wire (which is alledgedly for safety) that ended up electrocuting him.

Oh dear, the comments are full of gold diggers moaning about what he alledgedly did before he died. That has to be the stupidest court case in history, taking a dead person to court. What did they think they'd achieve? You can't lock up a corpse.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey