OT True cost of nuclear power.

They ARE banned in many countries.

The point is that without treatment it becomes more radioactive and more expensive still to deal with. Also note "should be ". = "up to".

So you can't just stash it away and forget it.

Reply to
harryagain

The MOX fuel consists only of a tiny percentage of plutonium.

Reply to
harryagain

So no bananas, then, no brazil nuts, and no coal - for openers. Is that what you are saying?

Reply to
Tim Streater

No people either. On average, we emit about 500 gamma rays every second.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

..

So, we need a LOT more nuclear power stations.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Between 5 and 10 percent, which isn't "tiny".

Reply to
John Williamson

Bloody hell Should I wrap up the missus in tin foil or sheet lead or something?

Reply to
bert

Hear hear.

Reply to
bert

in particular the bit about radiation dose received from naturally occurring potassium in the body.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's more suitable for beta rays, you should try 6" of concrete ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Quite obviously, LFTR designs which, afair, can be used to 'burn down' the long lived isotopes to shorter lived ones (half lives of days to years for the various fission products produced).

Saves me regurgitating all the benefits of this half century old nuclear power technology. The first paragraph nicely sums it up. Unlike the Cold War based legacy designs we're currently living with, essentially no high pressures on the nuclear side of the process (no need for a large and expensive high pressure containment vessel nor hydrogen explosion hazard - neatly eliminates Fukushima type accidents).

There are plenty of articles on the subject available on the internet (google or Bing using "LFTR") to provide further reading for anyone with the slightest interest or concerns over the future of nuclear power.

has a video of an interesting presentatiion on the subject by Kirk Sorenson

Reply to
Johny B Good

Only if she enjoys that sort of thing.

-- Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

+1
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

WHOOOOOOOOOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
dennis

Several inches of it but that won't stop all the natural radiation just the man made stuff.

Reply to
dennis

Apparently it is OK to sleep with one woman, but not with two.

Reply to
newshound

Ionic fire alarms SFB.

Reply to
harryagain

Pity you never read it all.

So the present nuclear reactors are no good and now we must start again? Heh, Heh. So what do with the pile of nuclear waste we already have?

Reply to
harryagain

Define tiny.

Reply to
harryagain

Was that a fart Den? Careful. There's a difference between having a shit and riving your arse.

(Old Yorkshire saying)

Reply to
harryagain