OT True cost of nuclear power.

Which tells us that it is a business that contributed £12bn to our balance of payments some 14 years ago.

The only thicko here is the one who can't understand that reprocessing means recycling and that the significant waste comes from the nuclear weapons programme, not nuclear power.

According to the 2012 Annual Report, Sellafield made a profit of £42 million, while the local population received £430 million in wages and £81 million in pensions. That is quite a lot of income tax and, according to the report, £40 million in national insurance contributions.

We obviously need more nuclear power stations to use the MOX fuel.

All that tells us is that the contract is coming up to a break point and the government is doing exactly what it should do at a break point; it is considering whether to continue with the existing contract, whether to award it to another contractor or whether to take the place back under government control.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

[snip other ripostes to harry the thicko]

So all in all, harry is posting c*ck as usual. Why am I not surprised?

Reply to
Tim Streater

What surprises me is that nobody seems to have twigged that he's only doing it to wind people up. I doubt he even reads the detail of the items he links to.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

He's proved either that or that his comprehension skills are severely lacking many times, when an article he's linked to has very nicely contradicted the point he was trying to make.

Reply to
John Williamson

I doubt anybody would turn their bungalow into an imitation of a WW2 blockhouse just to wind other people up. I think that, no matter how misguidedly, he actually believes the stuff he posts. However, that would mean that he either really doesn't understand the articles he provides links to or just skip reads them and sees only the bits he wants to.

ISTR he was some sort of advisor to the NHS. I dread to think how much of their money he wasted if he showed a similar lack of rigour in his research for that.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I would have to disagree, respectfully. The "civil" magnox stations were built to produce electricity. This is why they had the considerable expense and complication of on-load refuelling. By its nature, it is a rather slow process and hence more suited to "long dwell" fuel. But it had the merit of continuous electricity production. The military reactors, on the other hand, had frequent "batch" refuelling with a third of the fuel replaced each time. Continuity of power and steam production was obtained by having four comparatively small units on each site. The fact that on the later civil plant core, fuel, pressure vessel, and boiler design was similar (apart from each time it was changed!) simply reflects that a sound design had been developed for the military plant.

Reply to
newshound

I think it's you never read the articles. It's telling us that the private sector has been fined for mismanagement and the taxpayer is aving to take over as there is no money to be made.

There are people here that seem to to think Sellafield is purely about nuclear weapons waste. And the longer they keep plutonium, the more dangerous it becomes.

Reply to
harryagain

And exactly *how* do you work that out?

It becomes less radioactive as time goes by and most of the fission products are less toxic.

Reply to
John Williamson

Harry, can't you get used to the idea that you are going to die anyway? The chance of it being due to radiation is so small that it can be ignored. The people living on granite are generally getting far larger natural radiation doses than those living next to or working in nuclear power stations. We don't see them whinging.

Reply to
Capitol

Harry is simply using the big Green Book of Agitprop..repeat a lie often enough and some idiots will believe it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Also be aware of this when consulting wikipdeia

"William Connolley. "Green party activist" who "turned Wikipedia into the missionary wing of the global warming movement." Between 2003 and

2009, Connolley created or rewrote 5,428 unique Wikipedia articles, caused another 500 articles he disapproved of the disappear, had more than 2,000 Wikipedia contributors who ran afoul of him blocked from making further contributions, almost erased Wikipedia entries for the Little Ice Age and the Medieval Warming Period, dissed skeptical scientists like Fred Singer, and Richard Lindzen, and bigged up the work of alarmists like Michael Mann......."
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How is this Billy Connolly geezer funded?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well he knows it works.. it worked on him.

Reply to
dennis

Yeah, 70bn is pretty big potatoes. Perhaps we could just ship all the irradiated parts off to Pakistan, Bangladesh or Somalia and let them sort it all out for us. I'll bet it wouldn't come to more than a few grand and if they f*ck up, then it won't be us who have to suffer the resulting contamination. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

More fiction put about by the pro-nuclear lobby. They want you to think the waste is all very safe, can be buried and just disappears in ten years. It actually decays into even more dangerous and hard to handle stuff.

And no-one has come up with any solutions so far.

Reply to
harryagain

Sure they have, sell several smoke alarms to every home :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Been thought of long since.

harryagain

Butbut, you can't allow radioactive stuff in peoples' homes, they'll all die of cancer!!!!

And to prove yet again that Harry doesn't read what he links to:-

"Even under the worst possible conditions the americium/plutonium mixture will *never be as radioactive* as a spent-fuel dissolution liquor, so it should be relatively straight forward to recover the plutonium by PUREX or another aqueous reprocessing method."

From the paragraph linked to above. I added the emphasis.

Reply to
John Williamson

I have a source of radiation in my home at the moment - a half kilogramme bag of shelled Brazil nuts.

Sounds about right for a Harry quote.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar