Domestic heating: cost of oil

Following a press release by the Office of Fair Trading in September

I compared Boiler Juice and Fuel Fighter. The Boiler Juice price this morning is

58.95 ppl and the Fuel Fighter one is 57.55 ppl, so there's quite a difference already just between those two. I used Goff in 2010, who assured me they are a family-run business and not part of one of the big conglomerates. Goff was very competitive, more so than Chandlers.

MM

Reply to
MM

Goff always come in under boilerjuice- usually 2p.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mt local heating oil company, SS Motors, did a lot better than BoilerJuice.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

I represent a local syndicate, and last week I managed to get two companies, Goff being one, to fight it out to the end. I got a price of

54.65ppl from Goff, for a total order of approx. 35,000+ litres. Goff was clearly determined to get the order. So far, there have been a few minor hiccups, but they will be sorted. Several of the deliveries have been made, and the base price quoted yesterday was 71ppl. Join a syndicate!
Reply to
Davey

Cor... that name took me back a bit

...to living on the fens at Upwell

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I suppose it depends where you live, but 71ppl???? That is an extraordinary price to be paying right now.

MM

Reply to
MM

That is what I thought, especially after the deal I got last week. But that is what Goff is quoting right now, for individual orders!

Reply to
Davey

I found much the same a few weeks ago.

The ownership of Boiler Juice changed not long ago. I suspect that before they were owned by an oil company their prices were more competitive.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Us too. We've stopped using Boilerjuice.

Ahhh.

Reply to
Huge

OTOH, the original owner of Boilerjuice is apparently buying it back;

Huge

Interesting. My neighbour used to order oil for a number of us (about 30). When he stopped a year ago he said that the boilerjuice prices were very close to the prices he achieved. Sadly since having to order oil for myself, I have found that I could get lower than the boilerjuice prices.

A few weeks ago on the radio, someone suggested waiting as prices might drop as the Libyan conflict ends.

But then I read in the press that people were not ordering oil and that prices would rise (more) as the orders starting coming in with the cold weather.

Reply to
Michael Chare

>>> Interesting.

Yes, that's what we discovered. My wife spends 20 minutes on the 'phone and can beat the Boilerjuice price quite easily, even for small amounts.

IME, you should do the opposite of whatever I do. :o(

Reply to
Huge

Really?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That's what the Torygraph said.

Reply to
Huge

I can happily report that they still send out the same style calendar every year.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

I have taken that as read for some time, huge.:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher