Removing floor tiles - over underfloor hot water heating

Throughout the ground floor, the previous owners of this house fitted underfloor heating - and we love it. But the tiles over it? Not good. Bland, at best, and plenty of them are cracked. They're not even fitted particularly level!

So... what's the best way to remove them, without risking shagging the heating pipework in the process? I have no idea what's directly under the tiles, how thick any screed might be. It would have been done by pros rather than DIYers, but no idea how good those pros were...

Reply to
Adrian

presumably wet UF heating?

suspect only way to remove in circumstances is by hand with a lump hammer & chisel(s), maybe judicious "tickling" with an SDS drill and "tile spoon" chisel bit may work?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yep. The manifolds are visible in the understairs cupboards, with the pipework disappearing into concrete - but more than that, I know not.

Reply to
Adrian

generally at lest 3" of screed above pipes unless its electric UFH

attack with electric chisel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Garden spade used as a "scraper". Or you can buy a similar tool for the job. You might need a self leveling screed afterwards.

Reply to
harryagain

Some sources I've read while planning my own project for this summer have quoted as little as 65mm screed in total, including the depth of the pipes, so a little less of a margin than 3".

Still plenty of scope for a go with an SDS chisel though...

Reply to
GMM