Tiling and underfloor heating

My wife is looking for our kitchen and living room to be joined and tiled throughout with underfloor heating to "keep the chill out"

The living room is standard joists and floorboards but the kitchen is a sold concrete floor at a slightly different height around 1/2 inch higher. What is the best way to lay tiles across this mixture considering the addition of elecric underfloor heating? Can I lay tiles directly onto ply or do I need a screed? Any tips on the different types and makes of electric underfloor heating (mat or cable) also welcome.

Kevin

Reply to
KOS

Too many different types to discuss - each has its own manufacturer's recommended installation guide and they will be the people to ask if you are doing something non standard.

Mats tends to be more expensive but quicker. Cables make it easier if you have very strange shape room.

The tiles themselves have to be suitable for underfloor heating.

IIRC, Part P applies to underfloor heating and you would not be able to do this job yourself without notifying your local building control officer.

Personally, I hate tile flooring as if anything drops on it, it smashes. Except cork tiles. which just look crap.

I'd spend the money on going somewhere warmer for a week or two..

Reply to
Palindr☻me