OT: Toilets and turds

Depends on where you are. Due to spectacularly bad planning (is there any other sort in England) over 50% of the population choose to live with only 10% of the water.

I appreciate it's contentious (for some) but the foresight of Birmingham to secure a water supply from Wales (by a pretty funky aqueduct) that will last *another* 100 years demonstrates how far we have fallen.

I believe Liverpool is similarly blessed.

It may be an pub "fact", but I once read the Kielder Dam pours away more fresh water in a week than SE England uses in a year. Fuck HS2, why is there not a Water Main One project ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

And Glasgow. Loch Katrine. 1859.

Unfuck HS2. Nothing to do with speed. It's needed for capacity reasons. Fuck the M1.

Reply to
Scott

Low volume flush is the issue.

You don't see it in Europe, their toilets seem to have a powerful flush, I assume using more water.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Aren't we being told that low-volume flush is the fault of the dastardly EU ?

If you look carefully at properly fitted new installations (and I admit finding one may be a challenge ...) the pans throat is clearly smaller meaning it needs less water to flush.

Additionally - certainly the pans they've installed in the new QE2 hospital in Brum - when the flush is activated there seems to be a brief moment where the water level in the pan drops first. Almost as if there was a slight suction working as well as pressure on top. If there is, I'd be curious as to how it works. (Might just be my misinterpreting what I'm seeing).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No, The sphincter gets less effective with age. I have not tried this myself but a dollop of superglue on a couple of neoprene bands trimmed to line the first and second anal sphincter will provide a firm guide for the *Brexiter to exit through.

Prior to installing the sphincter lining though, a series of diagonal cuts need to be made down the length of the neoprene strips.

The diagonal cuts are effectively rifling that keeps the Brexiter vertical as it decends down to where it belongs.

An old less firm sphincter allows the Brexiter to twist and turn on the way down often lying horizontal in the bottom of the pan, and although ramming the obnoxious thing down the hole can have it's rewards, they are a bit stomach heaving for most to deal with.

*Brexiter [A substute for "turd", which some might find upsetting].

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Well I dunno, but 2/3ds of the planet is covered in it and matey said that waas a reason not to wryy about flushing with water...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well for that you need as government that believes in common sense and isn't beholden to te EU.

Vote BP?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, because they use less water per flush.

or do turds get larger

Possible if you have become a vegan or something.

I have noticed that quite often the toilet fails to flush

Could also be because your diet has changed and the turds are floaters or something.

Or all 3 combined.

Reply to
billj

Whatever medication you're on, keep taking it.

Reply to
Fredxx

Sailors?

But it is a terrible waste to process water to a drinkable standard and then using it to flush the toilet (or wash the car or water the garden)?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Except of course that with dual flush toilets it doesn't save water. The lowest flush is sufficient following a pee, but the higher flushes of many newer toilets aren't sufficient after a shit - with the result that the toilet has to be flushed a number of times, so using MORE water.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

It should last longer, particularly as sections of it in Mid-Wales are being completely renewed at present - and have been for the last two years or so.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Manchester gets water from both Wales and Cumbria as well as other surrounding areas. I'm not sure about Wales, but the Cumbrian supplies are purely gravity fed and require no pumping - excellent Victorian design.

Hey, we don't want the South nicking our water. We like being able to carry on as normal and even water gardens and wash cars without restrictions, except on very rare occasions.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The slope is set with the intention that the solids and liquid flow at about the same speed, and should get properly swept along. If you go too steep, then the water can run too fast and leave the solids stranded.

It certainly won't hurt, and also keeps the level of water in the trap up.

Reply to
John Rumm

Same with the Elan Valley pipeline to Birmingham.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I rate turds on the number of 3L or 6L flushes (from my new matched cistern and pan) needed to shift the bastard round the bend. My record is 36L monster, I thought I was going to have to take the bread knife to the bugger.

Reply to
mm0fmf

The Viz term for such is a "crowd pleaser".

Reply to
mm0fmf

What a choice: between living in Wales or living in Birmingham.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You could have different grades of water for different purposes but it would get terribly complicated: how many kinds would you need? Stuff to flush the bog is unlikely to be drunk (except by dogs), but what about people accidentally of deliberately drinking bath/shower water? What about water for plants outside or washing cars? People might get thirsty or careless.

Reply to
Max Demian

About 100 years ago, there was a hotel in Brighton that had baths with three taps - hot, cold and sea water. Supposed to be healthy.

They had to lay pipes, and two pumps, from the sea to the hotel (which was not on the seafront and also quite a long way above sea level).

Reply to
Bob Eager