Toilets

It gets confusing looking at all the makes and models.

Looking in the $250 range for a basic white, elongated toilet.

Looking at reviews, it appears people with bad experiences are more apt to blast the manufacturers.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Reply to
ralf

I think most are fine. That didn't used to be true. Older ones really didn't work very well with 1.6 gallon flush. The best seems to be Toto. They're very innovative, designing to optimize for 1.6 gallon flush and smaller bowls. One example: With smaller bowls it's hard for men to avoid splashing. Older toilets had bigger bowls with bigger overhangs inside, so there was no issue. But newer models have small, low bowls. Toto designs their bowls deeper to solve the problem.

Reply to
Mayayana

Don't buy a European one with little water in the bottom. Need cleaning every time they are used. There's an earlier thread with a post by me and the word toilet and one or more replies about European toilets.

Reply to
micky

Hi, I am sold on Toto. So far never failed us.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I put this in last year, and it works fine.

Got it at Menards, but you can buy it elsewhere. Maybe you can find a place that sells it for $250.

Reply to
Vic Smith

At home, I have two Kohler comfort height elongated bowl. The reason I bought them was the good experience with the same ones at work. Flush flawlessly. I think it is Wellworth model.

American Standard and Toto have reliable models also.

Consider getting the Kohler eats too. The Q3 series are slow close, easy to install or remove if you want to do a good cleaning on occasion.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm also a Toto fan.

Reply to
Frank

I don't think we have poor 1.6 gal toilets any more, Toto.

Stormin Mormon

I had a neighbor, Dorothy, who had a little dog. Guess what she called it?

Reply to
Frank

  1. Elongated.
  2. Jiggle the handle dog
  3. That worthless piece of crap that can't clear the bowl in one pass.

So, what did Dorothy call it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Recently had a Gerber Avalanche installed. Used by 2 people. So far,

100% of first flushes have emptied the bowl.
Reply to
Peter

A rather lengthy thread here a while back led us to purchase the Kohler Cimmaron. After a year use now, it has functioned perfectly. No regrets. We did spend a few extra bucks to get the 1.6 gal. version, tho others here at the time were likewise happy with their 1.28.

Reply to
83LowRider

Hi, Toto being Japanese origin, there is a story about what they used to test their toilet in design stage. They used tons of Japanese Miso bean paste balls for flush testing.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

ROTL. You make a good point.

Reply to
micky

Don't get me started on the topic of Gerber toilets.

For at least 5 years now, all that I would buy were the standard, white, round or elongated, Gerber toilets that were sold by my local plumbing supply places -- the same ones that almost all of the local plumbers would buy when replacing toilets for homeowners, investors, etc. They worked great and flushed and re-filled fast and well. They cost about $115 or $120. I have several rental properties plus some properties that I help maintain for the place where I work, so switching out old toilets was a fairly routine and common task.

The problem is that Gerber recently got the bright idea (maybe 9 or 10 months ago) to change the design of their toilets. They thought that the new federal law or standard was going to require 1.28 gallon flush toilets instead of 1.6 gallon. The new design that they created caused nothing but problems, and plumbing supply houses no longer had or could get the same standard Gerber toilets that they used to have to sell to their customers and plumbers.

Now, Gerber has some nonsense model, which I think is called Gerber Avalanche, and which is supposed to be compatible with 1.28 gallon or 1.6 gallon flush toilet standards -- depending on which size tank it came with. Unfortunately, it has a different size (much larger) flapper in it, which is not the standard size flappers that are otherwise sold and available everywhere. So, to change the flapper, you have to order or buy a special part or special size flapper for the new Gerber toilets.

I am now looking for another standard model toilet to buy in the future for toilet replacements instead of my old standby -- Gerber.

Reply to
TomR

Toto makes fine toilets, but their price is often well above $250.

Reply to
Not

I strongly suggest you avoid all the annecdotal stories and go here to look at real testing results. Then select a toilet that is rated 1000.

Note that the historical performance of a brand is of limited use as manufacturers can and do changet he mold size. Also note that MaP is not a protected term. Some manufacturers place their own MaP ratings on a box with no performance testing to back up the number.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle

I have a new comfort height Toto and it flushes fine, but the low water mea ns that doing #2 can require frequent cleaning, not every time, but often. I like the slow drop toilet seat. The thing that would make this really coo l, not sure if it is even available, would be some sort of electric button flush instead of the handle.

Reply to
todd3620

You need a Kohler with the flush by wave of the hand. Mine don't leave skid marks either. The water level is OK.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski