OT: Toilets and turds

Are modern toilets less efficient than old ones or do turds get larger with age? I have noticed that quite often the toilet fails to flush successfully.
On 27/05/2019 11:06, Scott wrote:

Namby-pamby greenies wanting to save water, as if two thirds of the planet isn't covered in the stuff.
--
Max Demian

On 27/05/2019 11:12, Max Demian wrote:

There is a resdonable excuse for not having mega flush water toilets as most people do not live in the sea.

Who flushes with seawater?

perhaps we need a sea water main system for toilet flushing? I can see one minor problem - you then couldn't put sewage outfall into the rivers.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The 30,000 or so people on Gibraltar, as fresh water is a limited resource and relies on desalination due to political circumstances so almost every building is connected to a sea water main as well as a potable supply. The fire hydrants in the streets are also connected to it as are some residents swimming pools, Tariffs for potable vary with use and user but for swimming pool use it is £1.38 for a 100 litres , so using the salt supply where the fee is based on rateable value gives quite a saving.
Obviously the UK isn’t that short of fresh water so unlikely to happen here.
GH
On Mon, 27 May 2019 14:51:58 +0000, Marland wrote:

Depends on where you are. Due to spectacularly bad planning (is there any other sort in England) over 50% of the population choose to live with only 10% of the water.
I appreciate it's contentious (for some) but the foresight of Birmingham to secure a water supply from Wales (by a pretty funky aqueduct) that will last *another* 100 years demonstrates how far we have fallen.
I believe Liverpool is similarly blessed.
It may be an pub "fact", but I once read the Kielder Dam pours away more fresh water in a week than SE England uses in a year. Fuck HS2, why is there not a Water Main One project ?
On Mon, 27 May 2019 15:20:15 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk

And Glasgow. Loch Katrine. 1859.

Unfuck HS2. Nothing to do with speed. It's needed for capacity reasons. Fuck the M1.
On 27/05/2019 16:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

Well for that you need as government that believes in common sense and isn't beholden to te EU.
Vote BP?
--
"If you don’t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."
On 27/05/2019 16:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

It should last longer, particularly as sections of it in Mid-Wales are being completely renewed at present - and have been for the last two years or so.

What a choice: between living in Wales or living in Birmingham.
Owain

See your Woverhampton and raise you Telford.
--

Roger Hayter

On 27/05/2019 16:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

Manchester gets water from both Wales and Cumbria as well as other surrounding areas. I'm not sure about Wales, but the Cumbrian supplies are purely gravity fed and require no pumping - excellent Victorian design.

Hey, we don't want the South nicking our water. We like being able to carry on as normal and even water gardens and wash cars without restrictions, except on very rare occasions.
SteveW
On 27/05/2019 21:35, Steve Walker wrote:

Same with the Elan Valley pipeline to Birmingham.
On 28/05/2019 09:04, Jethro_uk wrote:

And?
On 27/05/2019 13:36, DerbyBorn wrote:

Well I dunno, but 2/3ds of the planet is covered in it and matey said that waas a reason not to wryy about flushing with water...
--
“when things get difficult you just have to lie”

― Jean Claud Jüncker

Sailors?
But it is a terrible waste to process water to a drinkable standard and then using it to flush the toilet (or wash the car or water the garden)?
Cheers, T i m
On 27/05/2019 20:07, T i m wrote:

You could have different grades of water for different purposes but it would get terribly complicated: how many kinds would you need? Stuff to flush the bog is unlikely to be drunk (except by dogs), but what about people accidentally of deliberately drinking bath/shower water? What about water for plants outside or washing cars? People might get thirsty or careless.
--
Max Demian

On Mon, 27 May 2019 22:33:35 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

About 100 years ago, there was a hotel in Brighton that had baths with three taps - hot, cold and sea water. Supposed to be healthy.
They had to lay pipes, and two pumps, from the sea to the hotel (which was not on the seafront and also quite a long way above sea level).