Fixing modern toilets ?

Further to the recent bathroom from hell thread, our new bog hasn't got the normal floor mounting screw holes, it only has horizontal holes towards the back of the pan.

How the hell are you supposed to secure them ? - it can't be dropped in from above because it wouldn't be possible to get either the flush pipe or the soil pipe in (already having to use a flexi soil pipe contrary to the comments make about them on here)

Just to make life hard, the rear face starts flat against the vanity unit low down, then slopes away and out so there's a gap of about 10mm to fill at the top. The first attempt at using silicone on it failed as soon as we removed a brace we used to minimise movement while it set...

My ol' man's doing it, and about the best he could come up with was his normal "fill it full of expanding foam" method of fixing (which he's been known to use for anything from skirting to tiles to back- boxes for sockets etc !)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Don't know about the "supposed" way. And it will depend on the floor.

Our downstairs WC has a concrete floor. I used some Gripfill/Pink stuff and placed some clingfilm on top. Then I placed the bowl on top of that. This did the following things:

Filled some of the uneven concrete from under the old WC bowl (which had been placed on a bed of mortar); Let me build up a precise ridge to take the new bowl which increased the contact area; Allowed me to get the alignment and positioning spot on.

It took a ridiculous length of time for the Gripfill to set hard - several days from memory. (Maybe I should have used soemthing else?) But when it had set, I removed the new bowl and did the rest of the work. Finally, I smeared a good dollop of bathroom silicone on top of the Gripfill and placed the bowl back on top of that. Of course, the ridge in the Gripfill meant that I could position it very easily. When that set it was very firmly secured.

I did this because I was not happy at the thought of using only silicone. Seems to me that it is too flexible and could have allowed the bowl to move significantly in use.

I did not use screwws at all and it is fine. And do remove any Gripfill that squidges out before it sets.

Reply to
Rod

You should have a fixing kit for it. The 2 types I've used are as follows:

1/ A metal spike that screws into the floor with a threaded hole in the top. Line up the pan and bolt through the holes in the pan into the hole in the spike. 2/ A plastic L-shaped block that screws to the floor and sticks up next to the holes. Position the pan and screw through the holes into the block.

If you can't get the fixing kit from the supplier, you could bodge a similar fixing to 2 by screwing a block of wood to the floor in the right place, then screwing through the hole in the pan into it.

auctions

I came across one of those a while ago. It had horizontal holes going rearwards. It was fixed by machine screws which engaged with threaded right angle brackets, said brackets being screwed to the floor.

Does that help? Maybe the brackets & screws are missing from your new bog?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks for the replies chaps - i'll see how this goes, and might end up trying the gripfill technique - I don't recall seeing a bracket for it anywhere, and most of the packaging is now recycled / landfill (where recycling wasn't an option) so the odds of finding one are rapidly fading :-}

...failing that, i've got some of the FT101 adhesive sealant than screwfix flog...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Have you assembled the inards of the cistern yet, as sometimes the brackets etc are in the bag of syphon bits.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

It's all in & complete now, apart from figuring out how to fix the bog

- pretty much all the packaging has now gone, so even if it was in there, is won't be any more :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

I fitted a new one recently and thought that the horizontal fixings were quite a good idea. Two "eye-bolts" screwed into the floor - to the correct depth - then lower the bog over them and insert two machine screws. Worked well for me.

Reply to
John

Hi Colin, I fitted one of these 'back to wall' toilets with horizontal holes. I something similar to these

(2nd pic) which were included with the WC. I placed the pan in position and marked on the floor where the WC holes were and drew along the outside edge of the pan. Removed the pan and measured the thickness of the pan wall at these points and transferred this measurement onto the floor (inside the lines I had drawn). I fixed the brackets to the floor a few mm's inside this new line and when I slid the pan back I put supplied coachscrews through the horizontal holes and tightened up. The 'upright' bit of the brackets I used had lots of holes in so accuracy wasn't really critical.

I hope you understand my method, I do but I know what I am trying to say.

HTH

John

Reply to
John

Hmmm could be useful... i'll see how the silicone gets on, it's worth a punt if it doesn't hold with that alone !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

Personally I wouldn't trust silicone to hold a toilet firmly enough. I would ALWAYS go with some kind of mechanical fixing with silicone for the cosmetics!

HTH

John

Reply to
John