"Draino" for toilets?

Is there a "Draino" type unclogger for toilets? My toilet seems to get clogged frequently requiring a vigorous use of a plunger. What can I use to help this situation (other than a snake)?

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

Teo2006

Q-Tips are hard to detect.

-- Oren

Oren

with toilet lying on old towels in the tub, run your snake down from seat to wax, then connect an old towel and pull it back thru toward the seat. hopefully it will bring back up that popsicle stick or plastic spoon. for more fun you can look into mirrors, also you can dump

5-gallon buckets of water into sewer itself to be sure you don't have an obstruction in the sewer pipe. for parts see also:

---MIKE--- wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

OR YOU JUST HAVE A POORLY MADE TOILET........ I have one of these. I snaked it, removed it and carefully checked everything. The damn thing still needs to be plunged at least 5 times a week. I have been meaning to replace it for a couple years, but its one of those things you just put off and off, and you plunge and plunge and cus.... One of these days I will find a sale on a good toilet and probably do the job. Till then, I get lots of practice using a plunger. It also helps to flush after doing your job, and before you drop in any paper, and flush again after each additional paper added to it. In the end, you use more water on these water saving toilets..... Come to think of it, I'd like to find a good used toilet from the 60's. Before they started forcing us to use these annoying water saving things that never flush as well as the old ones.

Mark

---------

Reply to
maradcliff

I forgot to mention there is really nothing made such as draino for toilets.

Reply to
maradcliff

My toilet is the old style with a large tank. It has been in use for 16 years. I am the only person in the house and I am certain that NOTHING has been flushed other than poops, piss and toilet paper- NOTHING! I guess I will have to call a plumber with a snake.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

try flushing it with a bucket, if it flushes well i have your solution its quick easy and cheap.

take a look at the rim holes in the bowl, are they clogged?

Reply to
hallerb

I've got one sitting here in Seattle you can have.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

If the water mostly swirls around, and doesnt go down with a UMPH, for laCK OF A BETTER DESCRIPTION its very likely the interior passages and rim holes are clogged espically if your in a hard water area.

Easily solved in 15 minutes:)

Reply to
hallerb

How?

Reply to
Larry Weil

I wanted to know that, too. Guess you have to remove the toilet and soak it in 35 gallons of Lime-Away.

Reply to
clifto

Research here. He does have one solution.

-- Oren

Oren

How about putting a pond pump in the toilet bowl, pumping into the tank outlet hole?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

My trick is to keep an empty coffee-can nearby; when it looks like things might clog, I dump a coffee-can full of water "down" the back side of the bowl about .5 seconds before I hit the flush; blasts the "things" up into the bowl-water so that, with any luck at all, "they" go down one at a time, rather than meeting and jamming up the "hole".

Works for me -- I haven't had to use my HD "mother of all plungers" (the orange one with accordian-like bellows) hardly at all.

Give it a try!

David

Reply to
David Combs

For sure!

Plumber was over here doing something, and I asked him to have a look at the toilet.

He said "get me a wire coat-hanger" -- I did, and he cut it and bent a 3 or so inch piece so that it had a one-inch (or so) piece of it at a right angle, and then used it to poke into those rim-holes and wiggle it around, etc, and then when he flushed it, all this horrible black stuff (mold?) came out.

Flushed a lot better after that!

David

Reply to
David Combs