EdenPURE Gen4

What a crock of bull. They say it will save you money; HA!

1.5 kw is 1500 watts and if you run it all the time it will be about $70 a month if your kilowatt rate is 6 cents. If it's 12 cents it's $140 a month. They say you can save money by turning your thermostat down to 55 or 60 and use the heater in one room you normally spend all your time in. Bob Villa backs it. What a crock. $800 to $1600 a year don't save you crap. What a lier.
Reply to
LSMFT

It won't put out any more heat than a 35 dollar oil filled "radiator". At least they offer a money back guarantee.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I happened to catch the end of an EdenPure infomercial the other day. Some guy was displaying the new gas meter that his gas co. installed because he was using so little gas they thought the old meter had gone bad.

Yeah, right!

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Well, yes, it's crap. But there is truth to the claim that if you turn down the thermostat for the whole house, and only keep one room warm with their heater, it is possible you will save some money. The rest of your house, however will be COLD. You also increase the risk of frozen pipes bursting. Yes, I realize that pipes won't freeze at 55 degrees. However, pipes in poorly insulated areas that are normally held only slightly above freezing when the house is heated to 70, may drop below freezing if the house is at 55.

Reply to
salty

Don't involve me in this...his name is "Bob Vila".

Reply to
Bob Villa

Not to mention problems with mold growing on the cold walls in the rooms that you do not heat properly. The moisture in the house will be condensing on the cold walls, possibly causing water stains, dampness and providing a medium for mold to grow on. I live in a northern climate, and my gas bill is under $700.00 a year for heating, water heating and cooking. Most neighbors have bills of double this because they do not have high efficiency furnaces nor water heaters. I don't need to fool myself into thinking I can save more money on heating by using such an electric heater.

Reply to
EXT

Absolutely, You can do it with a $25 heater from Wal Mart too

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Or you can turn on a lot of lights in the room you are using

Reply to
hrhofmann

Yup

Reply to
salty

Not correct. Heat flow is proportional to some power > 1 of the temperature difference. It's been too many years since I knew and I'm too lazy to look it up tonight. But reducing the temp diff by 1/4 will save a lot more than 1/4 of the energy use and thus of the bill.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

Harry is mostly correct on this one. The rate of heat loss from a closed system is proportional to the temperature difference. Cut the differential in half and you cut the heat loss rate in half. If you have a sealed tank with water at 70, it will take twice as much heat input to keep it at 110 as it would to keep it at 90. However, a house isn't closed. Not only do you lose heat through the walls, ceiling, etc. you also lose some heat due to air leakage. But overall, I'd say Harry;s estimate is in the ballpark.

Reply to
trader4

Sorry, yes, you're right -- for conduction.

For radiation, the transfer rate is proportional to the difference between the fourth powers of the temperatures:

So with good insulation in the case under discussion, with most of the heat interchange being conductive, the total interchange is close to directly proportional.

However, most wall systems do involve some radiative transfer too, and walls with no insulation will have quite significant radiative transfer. However, I don't know just how much.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

harry wrote in news:289a76c8-9ad4-4c0f-a9f6- snipped-for-privacy@t8g2000yqk.googlegroups.com:

Old houses often have little or no insulation in the walls.

My place is double brick, with 3/4" batten strips , covered with wood lath and horse hair plaster. I would have to tear off the plaster and window trim to add the framing and insulation.

Reply to
TheHack

Yeah, "SaltyDog" is correct. You could save money on your oil bill or natural gas if you turn the thermostat down to like 50 degrees or something, and use the electric "EdenPure" for single room heating, but yeah then the rest of the rooms in your house are going to be ICE COLD!!!

Have fun catching pneumonia when you take a hot shower, and then step out into a 40 to 50 degree bathroom!!! But of course good ole' Bob Villa doesn't tell us that!!!!!

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

Of course not, you don't catch pneumonia like that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Now don't be injecting facts into an internet discussion. ;)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Harry K wrote in news:f671453e-df9f-4000-a307- snipped-for-privacy@j25g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

LAO! Good one.

Reply to
Red Green

LSMFT wrote in news:YUhvo.5755$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe20.iad:

You misunderstand what that means. It's a legal disclaimer. Like the Microsoft logo...a warning label.

Reply to
Red Green

Yeah, I just caught the end of the infomercial this morning, and it's near the end, when Bob Villa talks to the "Home Improvement" guy about "zone heating", and turning your thermostat down to save cash $$$$. They show a diagram of all the rooms in the house, and the room with the "EdenPure" is bright Red, and the rest of the rooms in the house are Ice Cold Blue in color!!!! LOL!!!!

I think it's right before the biker guy talks about his "brand, shiny new gas meter".

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

Again...Ms. and fellas, it's "Bob Vila" that is the shill here.

Reply to
Bob Villa