cpvc and freeze damage

I've rerun my kitchen plumbing in CPVC. Last year was our coldest in some time (in the teens) and the old iron pipe with foam insulation gave me no problems. All this in an unheated basement above which I've insulated the floor. It's tempered somewhat from out doors, but not much.

Should I expect any more problems out of the CPVC than I had with the steel?

I've heard that 20 F is the magick number for frozen pipes. Apparently since there is no nuclei for ice crystal to form around, it has to supper cool. Not sure how that works for the hot water after it has left the tank.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I wouldn't think that a basement, unless almost all above ground, would ever get below freezing. Mine doesn't even come close and -20 for a week or two used to be standard here every winter. Never did insulate any pipes down there, even the 'input' one that came in and went right up the outside wall to the ceiling.

Anyhow: CPVC should not have any more freezing issues than iron pipe.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Are you talking about a FULL baement that is underground, or a shalow basem,ent/crawl space that is mostly above ground, or what. If a real basement, the walls and floor are in the ground and frost only goes down (even here in the Chicago area) about3-4 feet, so the entire basement floor is warmer and will keep the basement above 32F. You need to be more specific.

Reply to
hrhofmann