Ot These useless polls.

One thing they say about liars. They have to have a good memory in order to be consistant and not to be found out.

But these polls were consistant and wrong. But all wrong in the same way. And the same degree. This implies collusion. To what end? They crib off of one another to save money or is there something more sinister?

Reply to
harryagain

If I were asked by them - same as any other telephone market survey - I'd probably give them as wrong an answer as I could. Unless I'd agreed to take part in it before being asked.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

People say they're going to vote one way, then vote differently. They're not being deliberately deceptive, it's just that answering a poll question isn't the same thing as casting a vote, and the floating voter will float.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

What it means is that people told the pollsters the same thing, but that thing wasn't what all of them did in the end.

Reply to
Nightjar

Rupert Murdoch and his editors are happy for people to think they swing elections. In fact they don't, but they don't like backing losers and they're very good at identifying winners well before time.

Anyone but a die-hard Labour zealot would have recognised that electing Ed Miliband as party leader would be electoral suicide, compounded by having somebody called Balls as Shadow Chancellor. Basically nobody will want to vote for somebody who can be ridiculed solely on account of their name. Previously Balls had been able to hide behind Gordon Brown and then Alastair Darling. Who also admittedly had a funny name but wasn't high profile in the minds of voters.

When the "Sun" got well stuck into Miliband quite possibly a lot of those questioned didn't want the polsters to think they'd been swayed by Murdoch, or the media in general. Who all mainly recognised Ed Miliband for the liability he was. So they pretended they were going to vote for him nevertheless to show their independence. As if.

michael adams

michael adams

What I would like to know is does Ed Miliband continue to receive his salary whilst he is on holiday in Ibiza.

Michael Chare

Do you continue to receive your salary while you're on holiday?

Reply to
Huge

Don't you get a paid holiday? Most people do

Reply to
charles

Doesn't parliament work a bit like the education system in that they have times when they are sitting, and times when they are not sitting. I would have thought that the latter would have been the time to take off on holiday. He is paid for 52 weeks of the year, is it not unreasonable to expect him to turn up during "term time" ?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Well, since Parliament doesn't sit again until 18th May...

Reply to
Adrian

On 12 May 2015, Nightjar grunted:

It's the 'shy Tory' effect, I'm sure. People are embarrassed to admit they vote Conservative. Think how common it is to hear people banging on in the pub or round the office water cooler about how they hate the Tories etc etc, how Labour will sort it all out etc etc. You just never hear it the other way round, do you?

Example - the day of the election my 18-year-old nephew posted a picture of himself on Facebook wearing a T-shirt proclaiming "Please God anything but Tory" or similar... I can barely imagine any kid having the balls to do likewise with a Labour.

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Lobster writes

:-)

Guilty as charged!

Mind, with this constituency and Peter Lilley as candidate there is little point voting elsewhere.

I think floating voters decided to play safe.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

You don't read the posts on here? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But will he be fined for taking his kids out of school during term time?.

Reply to
Andrew

He left his kids behind.

Reply to
Jacko

At one time I'd probably have answered a market survey truthfully. But I get so many phone calls claiming to just want my opinion - despite being registered with the TP scheme - that I'll no longer answer anything like that truthfully, unless I knew before hand it was genuine, and I'd agreed to it.

I usually answer such phone calls by asking for their billing address so I can charge them for my answers. After all, they're not working for free. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can't even spell *Poles* properly ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

That may well be part of it, but it seems that a significant number of people didn't make up their minds until entering the polling station. Conservatives won out here - these people are not necessarily embarrassed to say they voted Conservative, but genuinely didn't know they were going to until polling day. I think many of them were not naturally Conservative voters and might have been waiting for something from one of the other parties to make them vote differently, but none of the other parties pulled anything viable out of the hat.

I got a sense of the possible result a few weeks before when I popped in to Travis Perkins early one morning. There were a few van loads of builders standing around the counter discussing their votes, and they were mostly going to be voting Conservative, fearing labour would screw up their industry, which they regard as recovering very well at the moment. If Labour had lost the trust of these folks, it didn't bode well for Labour's result.

The fear of a Labour-SNP alliance when the polls were showing Labour was going to crash in Scotland was also a significant effect in people not voting Labour. It was no use Labour saying it wouldn't do that - they would virtually have been forced to do so if the Conservatives could only muster a minority governmant without enough support from elsewhere.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The polls ain't conducted by what you'd call political activists. Or rather, I'd hope not. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There was something on the BBC site about how Labour's own pollsters got a more accurate (pessimistic, they called it) result. Apparently, the difference was that they asked respondents to think about the issues at stake before asking whom they would vote for.

Etaoin Shrdlu