we have tivo (3yrs), contract ending; also cablevison/optonline; THEY have tivoish thing. To do?

Our tivo contract is ending in several weeks.

(tivo machine is maybe 3 yrs old)

tivo is really nice.

But we also have cablevision for cable-tv, and combined with optonline.net for fast internet.

cablevision/optonline ALSO has their own tivo-like product.

Question: what to do? . Renew tivo? . Go with the cablevison/optonline-related tivo-thing?

Note: we find tivo not so inexpensive!

I imagine that we are not the only people with this choice to decide on.

So, what do YOU guys say?

THANKS!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Compared to the user friendly features of the Tivo the Cablevision DVR sucks big time. The channel guide is inferior, very limited info shown, no concept of season pass, no ability to record based on wish lists using actors, subjects, etc. I can only wonder if Tivo has patents that prevent other companies from copying their features.

Only possible advantage to Cablevision would be if the Tivo you have is not HD. You can try out the Cablevision piece of crap for a month for $10 and then take it back. Since you already have the Tivo and Cablevision charges $10 a month, either a lifetime Tivo subscription or paying Tivo by the month is going to work out about the same for you in cost as the piece of crap from Cablevision

Reply to
trader4

go to

and get a dvr. it will pay for itself. dvr's are pretty much not available in department stores due to the cable and satellite companies coming out with their own and charging you monthly for them.

over seas they are huge........

good luck

Reply to
flir67

If you read the post, the guy already owns a Tivo DVR.

Reply to
trader4

Check into a HDD/DVD recorder that has a free built in EPG.

The EPG (electronic program guide) allows a easy way to record similar to TIVO but FREE!!!!

This web page explains how the most popular EPG works. TVGOS (TV Guide on Screen Programming)

Use this start page to search for different recorders with a HDD (hard disc drive) You'll have to read the specs of the specific recorder to see if it has a EPG function built in.

tnom

> website and get a dvr. it will pay for itself. dvr's are pretty much

Unless it is one of the old series 1 units, it won't work without a subscription. I wasted 20 bucks on a series 2 at a garage sale before I found that out. One of these days I'll rip the hard drive out of it and reformat it- it ain't worth putting on ebay, judging by the prices they go for. Damn shame, it is in perfect condition, and I hate parting out good equipment.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I get similar functionality with the free MythTV software on a Linux server.

Reply to
cjt

er.- Hide quoted text -

dish charges just 5 bucks\ DVR fee a month per receiver that outputs 2 different channels at once........

has convenient commercial SKIP button:)

Reply to
hallerb

I added TV tuners to a PC and used BeyondTV software for a multi tuner PVR with a huge harddrive.

Reply to
Bob F

OP could buy a lifetime TIVO service contract. last I heard they were available again

Reply to
hallerb

If you don't need true HD quality and don't mind looking up program schedules and manually setting the station, date and times to record, I've been very pleased with the Magnavox H2160MW9A HDD and DVD recorder/player. It has a built in ATSC tuner (without TV Guide on Screen Capability) and if you use an HDMI connection to your HDTV, the playback of both the HD and DVD drives is up-converted to 1080i. The 160GB HD enables 60 hrs of recording in the next to the best quality of 6 recording quality choices. You can pause a live broadcast and resume as with a TiVo and record a broadcast simultaneously with watching the playback of a program you previously recorded. You can record up to 36 separate programs for up to 1 month in advance. It sells for about $225 at Walmart, somewhat more at Target. As mentioned by another poster, these types of devices are not advertised and very few outlets sell them. I've been using mine almost daily since it arrived about 2 mos ago, fed by my rooftop antenna, and it has worked flawlessly with both HD and DVD recordings. No monthly subscription needed.

Reply to
Retirednoguilt