OT: The sooner we're out.....

Something to do with your sense of taste diminishing as you aged?

Reply to
Martin

The Dutch successfully changed the type of tomato they grow because of complaints abut lack of taste.

Reply to
Martin

Maybe it;s because locals have more sense or can see the pitfulls of doing that job such as accepting it means if leaving yuo canl;t claim unemploymen t for X amount of time if you don;t loike the job or the way you are treate d. This has be going on for years.

Remeber me telling the story of a friend who was a cycle courier who 'got s acked' for not working Xmas eve and how after falling of his bike due to ex haution he took them to court and one £10k compensation I doubt a fore igner or a school, kid would know that the employers were breaking any laws . But it seems now there;s a death because of such practices and it's the sam e company.

seems he was under the same T&Cs but put up with it.

but if you can get immigrants to do the work then why not as my friends man ager said if you want to earn more work longer hours, after reduce the pric e per package paid, even cheaper than employing women.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , at 14:19:27 on Thu, 31 May

2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

Because the distances and pay rates make it uneconomic.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 15:41:30 on Thu, 31 May 2018, Martin remarked:

Who is "they" and who is "The Dutch"?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Some politicians can't travel to work, they claim to need a house in London . Some even need chauffeurs too, and their meals paid for and just about eve rything else including a £64k+ salery to live in london.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , at

08:14:19 >> In message , at 14:19:27 on Thu, 31 May

Not very relevant to a local in the fens being asked to get themselves let's say ten miles each way a day (no public transport, naturally) for minimum wage working in a field.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Current account in surplus for the first time in decades isn't doing too badly.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

So why doesn't the Labour Party accept their views?

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

There's no underground in these rural areas, no trains, no buses no Uber.

Reply to
bert

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

As famously explained by a certain Mr Ratner.

Reply to
bert

In article , michael adams writes

Nothing. Tesco would simply refuse to pay the supplier.

Reply to
bert

And minimum wage being a sizeable sum to Eastern Europeans, especially when they are being provided with board and lodgings and can take almost all of it home, where it is worth vastly more. It's a whole lot of hard work for a UK worker, for not much gain. Maybe if there were no EU migrant workers, the pay would have to be higher and UK workers might find it worthwhile - of course that has to be balanced against what the supermarkets are willing to pay for the produce.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The Labour party doesnt see itself as responsible to the people it claims to represent, but in charge of their moral education instead.

see below..vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 21:07:12 on Thu, 31 May 2018, bert remarked:

I managed to get an Uber quote for a short trip ut into the fens locally (just out of curiosity when surrounded by people insisting Uber was ubiquitous) and it came in at around ?20 each way. No availability, ever, though.

Reply to
Roland Perry

And we all know that education of any sort is very bad indeed.

Far better to have the Tory party in charge who simply looks after its own. The weird thing being how many fairly ordinary people think of themselves as that - despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you saying then that people in rural areas can't work at all - unless it's within a short walking distance?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at 10:33:37 on Fri, 1 Jun

2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

In practice they need a car if living in the countryside. But there's very little social housing other than in towns, so the walk to work there will be more bearable.

Reply to
Roland Perry

When I were a lad, there were lots of council houses in rural areas. But I'm sure they've all been sold off and are now holiday homes.

However, if the unemployed in a rural area already have a car etc as it's essential, it's not going to cost them much in fuel to drive a few miles for work. Likely no more than many pay in PT fares in a town. And take less time too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So who drives the kids to school, and in what ?

michael adams

michael adams