Lidl drill/chisel/scissor sharpener

I've just bought one of these and I'll be darned if I can follow the supplied instructions for setting the drill bits up in the holder. If I push it in to the setting guide far enough to touch the metal pin, it seems to then be too close to the wheel when inserted for grinding - so would take far too much off.

I have managed to sharpen a few bits, but by trial and error setting.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

A drill sharpener that worked well for idiots would be one of my first purchases. ;-)

I've got several here, and non work well on smaller drills. But then large drills aren't too tricky to sharpen on a plain grind stone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Harry Bloomfield has brought this to us :

Harry Bloomfield

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Monday :

It seems to be almost idiot proof, apart from the setting up in the clamp/ holder. It gets the basic angle about right, except sometimes it seems to not get the angle right for the none cutting edge/ the clearance angle.

I used to be able to make a pretty good job of grinding them by eye.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That sort of describes all of mine. ;-)

Respect. Never been able to do small ones. I know they are cheap - but no help when you've run out of sharp ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't see much point in those machines. They seem to be for people that have never taken 10 minutes to sit & stare intently at a drill bit & thereby understand how it's ground & why.

For bits you don't plan to use on steel, regrinding with different geometry gives way better performance. Your machine can't do that.

For very small bits that are too fiddly to grind right, the quick easy way is to put a spear point on them. In all but steel that works great in small sizes & is dead easy to do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr