Drill Doctor 500 - ANY GOOD ????

I have used a B&D drill sharpener from like 30 years ago. Did a good job - thru trial and error - on sharpening drills. You could mess them up royally if you were not careful.

Is the Drill Doctor any good / better ? I notice the 500 model is capable of doing both 118 and 135º angles.

I read that the diamond wheel is only good for 500 shaprenings - who's counting .

We hear about how durable diamond is. I would have imagined the Drill Doctor wheel would last far longer than the carborundum wheel in my ancient B&D unit from 30 years ago.

500 ( approx.) grinds does not seem like much for a DIAMOND wheel on HSS drill bits.

Is there a slight learning curve to using this unit to get the correct angles ? I would think YES.

Comments ?

TIA

Reply to
Conase

Don't know anything about the drill dr. unit, but if there is a way to get water on that diamond wheel, it should last longer...

Or you could just order your drills in bulk from McMaster, Grainger, etc.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com Northern, NJ Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Reply to
Joe Agro

It has been touted by quite a few as being very good. Easy to use. Check the web page for a video.

Only problems I have is justifying the cost. For the price of the machine, I can buy a lifetime supply of bits. OTOH, if I had a machine shop or did a lot of drilling operations, I'd have one. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I generally just throw away drills smaller than about 3/8 inch dia.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Reply to
Steven Bliss

I have one and it works very well. I have the attachment to go to 3/4" bits.

Reply to
John Galbreath Jr.