OT: The sooner we're out.....

It wasn't the voters who were pro immigration, it was a succession of governments of Left and Right, who saw a way of boosting GDP (but possibly not GDP per head) by importing workers and keeping the pyramid scheme, of increasing the population to change the demographics of an otherwise aging population, going - but of course they in turn age and you have to import even more and they hoped it wouldn't fall apart until after they'd been long gone.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

My only union dealings followed the outbreak of Legionella caused by the ventilation plant at Broadcasting House, London (1988). Quite as number of BBC staff were affected aand the union offers to take up compensatiopn claims for all staff - even if they weren't union members. The BBC's insurance company made an offer and the union advised to accept it. I, and some others, thought the offer derisory and said so. The union wrote back saying " find your own lawyer"; unfortunately one of the claimants was on the union NEC - so the Union found another lawyer and a QC! We got a new offer, more than double the original one which was accepted by all those left. The sad outcome was that those most in need of the money had accepted the initial offer - as advised by the union.

Reply to
charles

A union 'leader' is elected by its members who also pay his wages. If they are happy with that leader WTF has it to do with anyone else?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite. Successive governments also promised to reduce immigration, yet did nothing about it. Suited them to have the EU blamed for it. Even when EU migration accounted for only about 50%, with a large chunk of that itinerate.

But we do seem to need a large percentage of 'immigrants' to do the jobs the English think beneath them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The whole idea behind te EU was to produce a communist style government where the (German) government controls everything and only the Party Faithful get rich.

Your pint "The above is for growers and retailers only." is irrelevant. Who consumes the bananas? Are they to the consumers tatse? If not the consumer wont buy em and te retailer wont stock em and the growers wont grow em.

Simples. Its called 'the market'

And is everything the EU opposes. The government controls supply and the consumer is denied choice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 22:16:24 on Tue, 29 May

2018, Cursitor Doom remarked:

Are they particularly fond of deregulated (eg pest-ridden) bananas in Italy?

Reply to
Roland Perry

I beg to disagree. While there have been changes to the rules at various times in response to political crises in other places which were the subject of political discussion at the time, by mutual consent between the two main parties immigration* has never been made an *explicit* election issue. Even more so since the particularly nasty local campaign run by Peter Griffiths the successful Conservative candidate in Smethwick in the 1964 GE. Which certainly didn't reflect party policy at the time. The Referendum was the first time in any UK "election" that immigration became a major issue - to the extent that many voters at least though that they reduce could immigration at a stroke by their votes

So this present situation is an unholy alliance between Labour from 1997 onwards positively encouraging unlimited immigration against the wishes of a majority of voters - policies only brought to people's attention unfortunately by the likes of the "Daily Mail": and then much later, by which time it was too late to do anything about it, David Cameron finally offering the electorate a vote on the subject (so they thought). Which they - the people who Labour had conspicuously ignored on the subject - won !

And something, anything "sensible" is supposed to emerge from this mess ?

michael adams

  • There was no cause for it to be. Until around the time of the Ugandan Asians all Commonwealth citizens had an automatic right of entry to the UK. What kept the numbers down was simple economics - relative poverty at home and the cost of travel. While foreigners from other countries were subject to specific rules - there was for instance a strict quota on the number of European Jews from Europe who were allowed entry into the UK in the 30's. Same as the US. None of which was ever an issue. Moseley was only ever concerned with Jews who'd already lived in the UK for 30 or 50 years

michael adams

I'm currently staying with friends in a rural location. Albeit a small town/village it appears that 100% of the jobs associated with the tourist and hospitality industry in this area are being filled by the local population rather than importing cheap foreign labour.

"Jobs that are beneath them" is a phrase used by those wanting to maintain mass immigration for the purposes of cheap labour that can be disposed of quickly without financial consequences. I'll bet in nearly all cases of these "unwanted" jobs that many of the roles are actually being filled by the indigenous population.

Unfortunately there will always be documentries on TV showing a specially selected group of unemployables or lazy bastards are actually unemployable or lazy to prove that there are jobs that can only be filled by immigrants.

Reply to
alan_m

Ah - right. Started by those communist governments of the day in Germany, France etc.

You're off your meds again.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And all the seasonal farm jobs?

I've no direct experience not being a farmer, etc, but lots of anecdotes about the local unemployed not being willing to do the seasonal work for them.

The same ones as like to show immigrants sleeping rough and living by stealing/begging?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a remoaner made up fact!

Reply to
alan_m

All these regulations doesn't stop "class 1" perishables from being offered for sale when going rotten.

The regulations allow growers to classify fruit and vegetables when they are in the inedible state to pass on to retailers who then offer them up for sale in the hope that they don't go rotten before ripening. It's a pity that these EU standardised products no longer have any flavour.

Reply to
alan_m

In message , at 10:53:16 on Thu, 31 May

2018, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:

I live in an area with lots of farms and lots of Eastern European workers. We hardly see them because they live in 'barracks' out on the farms, miles away from the towns. It's that aspect which is likely to be unappealing to locals, as much as the long hours in the fields in all weathers.

Reply to
Roland Perry

and most is know about. Back-breaking work for peanuts - why Brits won't slave on farms swamped by EU migrants EXCLUSIVE: BRITISH citizens CAN get jobs in a town swamped by EU migrants.. . but the work has been branded as "hellish" even by some Eastern Europeans who have travelled thousands of miles to take up most of the posts.

When we find women that wonlt have sex with us we import them as cheap sex slaves that;s how wienstien gets sex though didnlt he so why are rthe women complianing if they want a job do the deed needed that seems to be what em ployers want, so except it and move on, appears to be the way to go.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , at 11:42:30 on Thu, 31 May 2018, alan_m remarked:

The ripening is done by wholesalers.

That's a problem with the people picking which varieties to grow. No doubt if there was a demand from shoppers for tastier ones at twice the price, they'd be available. Most consumers aren't like that.

Reply to
Roland Perry

They aren't meant to. But I doubt rotting food would be classed as "class 1" Why do you think there is such a class if there is no reason for it ?

Yes just like other products it makes sense that the buyer has some idea what they are buying.

They need more than just hope that is the point of it.

Well that depends on where the products come from and how they are stored or treated.

Reply to
whisky-dave

We're continually told EU standards for various things are a constraint on trade. There is nothing stopping anyone *exceeding* those standards, so fair to assume those who don't like them want to trade in stuff which doesn't meet them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You really must want a nanny state if you want someone else to tell you something like that is rotten.

Right. So you appear to be against legislation but now want some guarantee on flavour? Just how do you intend measuring that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Rather obviously if employing itinerate workers, providing accommodation is going to make it more attractive to them.

But can't see a reason why locals couldn't travel - as most do - to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The locals probably don't like living in chicken hutches.

Reply to
Martin