OT: The sooner we're out.....

I think Andy was talking of a straight forward tax system, such you paid the same rate of tax on any income irrespective of the source or how it was earned.

Reply to
Fredxx

I did mean a flat income tax though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Indeed, and maybe not a straight line, anything that's less complicated. For many years I've wondered what a geometric gross-income/tax-rate curve would look like to be broadly neutral to the UK, compared to all the bends and wrinkles in PAYE/EENI/ERNI rates and limits we have, where most budget tinkering has relatively little effect.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No it isn't. There is a separate rate for energy supply and for some products the rate is zero.

If you pay cash? I've certainly been offered this incentive

Reply to
charles

Taxation - even from the very start of it - has never worked that way.

If you take a minimum figure everyone needs to live on. Just for the basics. Pay someone that figure then tax them say 10% and they starve. If someone is paid twice that amount and they pay 10% tax - ie double what the lowest paid do - they can still feed themselves.

If you were to control what people were paid too, you could make a case for a flat rate tax.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remaoners think everyone is as stupid as they are. BIG mistake

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher