OT: Tax implications of electric cars.

Surely the inland revenue wouldn't be too chuffed if the majotiry of cars were plug-in regargeables as it would seem to make tax collection a nightmare.
Much better to have convenient units of hydrogen which can be used with a fuel cell?
Just a passing thought, please edumacate me of my errors.
Cheers,
David Paste.

Not really. Easy enough to change to being taxed on road usage. You don't display a VED disc anymore because cameras pick up untaxed vehicles via their number plates. So the same idea can work out how much they're driven.
--
*It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.

On 6/22/2016 6:46 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Agreed. Or £100 tax on each tyre (or whatever the equivalent figure is).
On 22/06/16 17:37, David Paste wrote:

It doesn't help Tesla promoting free fill-ups. Even though the company is paying for the electricity and (hopefully) tax, it's going to change and accelerate consumer behaviour in such a way that we will need to start building proper power stations pretty soon.
Actually, if we lost about half of fossil fuelled cars to electric equivalents, would there be enough national grid power in the UK to charge them?
In London the government already tracks vehicle use by APNR cameras. Some insurance companies have tracking devices fitted to cars. There is a push to integrate accident breakdown systems inside engine managment. The future seems to be us having our purchases and usage tracked.
See that smart meter in your gas/electric cupboard?
You'll see the same in your car.
--
Adrian C

According to National Grid each electric car adds 50% to a household's average electricity consumption. That means the local infrastructure is as much in need of upgrading as the generating capacity. They estimate the latter will have to rise from around 70GW today to 100GW by 2025 (rather than 80GW if there weren't electric cars).
--
Roland Perry

Yes but to a greater extent cars will be recharged overnight when the demand on the grid is less.
Course we'll still be using fossil fuels in the main to make the power.
So we've just moved its use from one place to another....
--
Tony Sayer

Perhaps, but with so many cars parked on the streets overnight, how will the cabling work?
Not much solar power at night, of course!!
--
Roland Perry

On 23/06/16 13:44, Roland Perry wrote:

Coin in slot 'charging meters'
Or equivalent
Probably with an internet connection as well, so you car can tweet you if its being stolen.

--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of

On every residential street in the country? I doubt it.
--
Roland Perry

On 23/06/16 12:44, tony sayer wrote:

HOWEVER with a slight increase in efficiency and a big drop in urban pollution.
And much better for nukes, which don't fit in the average car
Electric cars today are like aeroplanes in the 1860s 'I know we could make these things work if only we had an engine light enough'
All we need is a battery that's light enough. In 150 years of batteries, we have come close, but we aren't getting much closer.
--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
On Wednesday, 22 June 2016 20:16:27 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Local council here has free charging stations.
I wonder if the free electricity should be declared to HMRC as income?
Owain
00:57:18 on Thu, 23 Jun 2016, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com remarked:

Those are a public relations exercise. Two charging points in a five hundred space car park is a classic example of something that doesn't scale.
I've only *ever* seen one electric car charging - be that in a car park, at a motorway services, or on in the street. A few yards away from Russell Square tube station.
--
Roland Perry

remarked:

How much energy (in kWhr) does an electric car typically take in when it's being charged - assuming the worst case when the battery is almost flat and the battery is charged to full capacity. In other words, how much would it cost to charge a battery on a normal household tariff.

Cost is about £2.50 per 100 miles, so about a quarter of a modern diesel.
That's compared to about £3 per 100 miles for the ex-tax element of diesel.
Which complies with my rule that broadly speaking all energy costs the same, it's the tax and retailer profit which changes the price.
--
Roland Perry

On 23/06/16 09:36, Roland Perry wrote:

BEVS should overall use a bit less fuel in the power station than they would on the road if not electric.
And diesel is a bit more expensive than gas...
So leccys should in theory be a bit cheaper.
Using the example I worked earlier, that 3KWh = 1 litre of raid fuel, heating oil is around 30p a litre, which equates to around 10p/Kwh ignoring VAT
Actual wholesale price of fossil or nuclear electricity is around 4p.
And if we did start to use far more electricity and built gas or nukes to supply it, the distribution costs would come down in proration, so it would be cheaper overall to use leccy.
TAX of course is the largest part of the cost of road fuel.
--
“it should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
On Thu, 23 Jun 2016 09:11:58 +0100, NY wrote:

Depends.
Nissan Leaf is 24-30kwh battery. Tesla is up to 90. Renault Twizy is 6.
Take off a bit because they're never flat-flat, and never taken to full- full. Add on a bit for inefficiencies in charging.
Adrian wrote:

Anyone see the Telsa model-X on Top Gear? Shame about the price ..

I did. It seemed to surprise a few 'petrol heads'. ;-)
I like the fact that he didn't push the 'green' trump card and was honest re 'burning rain forests or puppies' etc.
In an ideal world you could flatten the country and start afresh with sufficient transport infrastructure but when you try and fit it all in around old towns and following roads built by the Romans (in many cases) and railways built by Brunel when the country wasn't as busy as it is now, it's bound to be tricky.
I wonder if ... by the time the fuel runs out or we have poisoned enough of us to realise something has to change we will have really found a viable / acceptable replacement to the ICE (as considered by the majority)?
Cheers, T i m
On 23/06/2016 10:44, T i m wrote:

I would think we could have genetically engineered plants to make better fuel by then. They could make food at the same time. All you need is a source of energy so pumping it around a nuke should enable cooling too.
On Thursday, 23 June 2016 10:09:38 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

This is pretty good, too:

https://youtu.be/ib-02b2ooLY?t=3m20s

https://youtu.be/ib-02b2ooLY?t=3m20s

Dunno how often it could repeat it though.