OT: Stupid Bloody Android

I've already explained that

tim

Reply to
tim...

En el artículo , tim... escribió:

Um, RTFM?

"man" = manual. Handbook, user guide, etc.

There's a saying: "Unix /is/ user-friendly. It's just picky about who its friends are"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

+1. That thing.
Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , tim... escribió:

jeez. you're hard work.

[root@somebox ~]# man 1 man

man(1) man(1)

NAME man - format and display the on-line manual pages

SYNOPSIS man [-acdDfFhkKtvVwW] [--path] [-m system] [-p string] [-C config_file] [-M pathlist] [-P pager] [-B browser] [-H htmlpager] [-S section_list] [section] name ...

DESCRIPTION man formats and displays the on-line manual pages. If you specify section, man only looks in that section of the manual. name is normally the name of the manual page, which is typically the name of a command, function, or file. However, if name contains a slash (/) then man interprets it as a file specification, so that you can do man ./foo.5 or even man /cd/foo/bar.1.gz.

What you really mean is, you *won't*. There's a group of people who for reasons best known to themselves think consulting a manual is beneath them. It's silly, especially when *nix used to come with a whole bookshelf's worth of manuals.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

This isn't "T i m", again, is it?

[22 lines snipped]

It's always mystified me that people acquire a complex and expensive tool, won't look at the manuals, then complain when it cuts their hand off (metaphorically, in the case of computers).

Reply to
Huge

With CNC tooling these days, possibly literally as well ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

*grin*
Reply to
Huge

Back in those days anyone trained on Intel processors would have used ISIS or various flavours. That might get someones attention these days!

Reply to
Paul Herber

41 years ago UKC was also teaching ICL4100 BASIC on teletypes. Oooooooo, be still my beating heart. .
Reply to
Paul Herber

Followed by RMX? Or Unix (on a sequent symetery in my case).

Reply to
dennis