Advise

I have a rather expensive tobacco pipe made of root briar. The outside of the bowl has accumulated some grime, due to tobacco and finger oils. The grain is impecable and even has somee birdseye on the bottom of the bowl. How do I clean this wood without harming it's smokeability? Please answer by email. Thanks.

Reply to
Max Power

"Please answer by email." Right-o, you lazy, self-important doo-doo head. You want the answer, come here.

4-0 steel wool. Maybe a little lemon oil.

And no, I won't mail you any steel wool, either. You'll have to take your lazy ass, your stupid email address, and your idiotic screen name over to the hardware store your lazy-assed self.

Michael Baglio Oh, I forgot to say "Have a nice day." Where _have_ my manners gone?

Reply to
Michael Baglio

You must really hate this guy, Lemon oil on a pipe NOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo!!!!!! Any thing you put on the bowl or in the bowl will change the taste of the smoke, lemon is bitter and you bites you don't want that. Use alcohol (grain) and steel wool to clean the outside, ream the inside clean (down to the briar if needed) and coat with alcohol (grain) and honey mixture, char the inside of the bowl. To finish the outside of the bowl use beeswax rubbed in to the bowl. This is how I restore most of mine when they need it. And why is this guy asking here anyway he should go to a pipesmokers group.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Buff the outside. You could chuck a buffer in your drill press. electric drill, or lathe. The natural oils present are enough.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sun, Sep 14, 2003, 11:36pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Max=A0Power) put out: I have a rather expensive tobacco pipe How do I clean this Please answer by email.

OK, I'll advise.

Don't post on this newsgroup with code in your sig block.

Quit smoking.

If you're gonna post here, don't ask to answered by e-mail. If you are too bone idle to check for responses, you don't deserve answers. Besides, it makes you look like a WebTV user.

JOAT I've heard it said, "All roads lead to Rome". But wouldn't that depend on which way you're going?

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Let's see...last time I cleaned a pipe it was one of my fathers as I recall. I can remember getting it from his pipe rack then climbing up on a chair I pushed over near the sink where my mother was washing dishes.

Spluushhhh..... was the funny sound it made as it headed to the deep six of the kitchen sink in soapy water with lot's of suds..... My mother smiled and said..."I agree, might as well and go ahead and clean that smelly old thing"

Years later, I bought Dad a hand-carved Meerschaum as a replacement....

So I don't know what you would use to clean a pipe but don't use soap and water...Dad never did smoke that particular pipe ever again...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Max, If it were a truly expensive pipe ($220 and up), you would have been asking this question long ago. The inside you do not clean. never ever. Use use a cleaning tool that scrapes the char out. If you use this tool correctly, you do not remove much each time. If you are too aggressive you will pull clumps out, leaving no char in that little area and that will allow that spot to burn through. On outside, if it is real yucky, you can scrub with toothbrush and very mild solution of water and murphys oil and wipe clean. When doen, use your noce oil to add protection. SOmeone already mentioned this. It works and works well. Rub on your nose and use your fingers to loveingly rub it in. A $200 plus pipe will retain in value, and smoke well. ANd dont smoke one pipe all the time. It needs a rest. None of these rules apply to meerschaum.

Reply to
JLucas ILS

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Wanted to let you know that I got a virus alert from my ISP with your address on it. Tried to tell you via email but it bounced.

X-NAV-TimeoutProtection0: X X-NAV-TimeoutProtection1: X X-NAV-TimeoutProtection2: X X-NAV-TimeoutProtection3: X X-NAV-TimeoutProtection4: X X-NAV-TimeoutProtection5: X X-NAV-TimeoutProtection6: X Received: from virusgate1.snip.net [209.204.64.12] by snip.net with ESMTP (SMTPD32-8.01) id AD06CDF20042; Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:42 -0400 Received: from localhost (localhost.snip.net [127.0.0.1]) by virusgate1.snip.net (Postfix) with SMTP id 9CB7055402 for ; Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:38 -0400 (EDT) From: snipped-for-privacy@snip.net Subject: Recipient Virus-alert (sender: snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com) MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;

boundary=" snipped-for-privacy@virusgate1.snip.net" Message-Id: Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:38 -0400 (EDT) To: undisclosed-recipients:; X-RCPT-TO: Status: U X-UIDL: 356486738

This is the mail anti-virus program at virusgate1.snip.net.

We BLOCKED a message addressed to you from: snipped-for-privacy@peoplepc.com

containing: infected: I-Worm.Swen

This message does not contain the virus or the original e-mail message.

This message is just a notification and can be safely deleted.

The person sending this virus received a notification as well.

The attached file contains the message headers of the infected mail. The headers will only be of interest to a mail administrator.

Do not reply to this auto-generated message. All replies to this message will be lost.

Please direct any comments or questions to snipped-for-privacy@snip.net.

Thank you,

SNiP Internet and Telecommunications Received: from imgate2.snip.net (imgate2.snip.net [209.204.64.8]) by virusgate1.snip.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 7258755420 for ; Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:38 -0400 (EDT) Received: from c002.snv.cp.net (h008.c002.snv.cp.net [209.228.32.172]) by imgate2.snip.net (Postfix) with SMTP id 86D5D60E70 for ; Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:39 -0400 (EDT) Received: (cpmta 268 invoked from network); 18 Sep 2003 17:24:53 -0700 Received: from 199.174.3.56 (HELO dqqqwie) by smtp.peoplepc.com (209.228.32.172) with SMTP; 18 Sep 2003

17:24:53 -0700 X-Sent: 19 Sep 2003 00:24:53 GMT From: "MS Security Center" To: "Microsoft Client" SUBJECT: security patch Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="dergehzrrqitwg" Message-Id: Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:25:39 -0400 (EDT)

Regards, Tom Tom Watson - Woodworker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

None of my damn business, but just wondering what the rationale was behind the change from "Cabinetmaker" to "Woodworker" in your sig line and your website?

Reply to
Swingman

file to catch and delete it. I suspect that there are some out there who have not patched their MS OS to plug the hole in Internet Explorer.

Details at:

Rick Chamberlain

Starting yesterday, I've received about 50 copies of the new virus. They're trying to come in as a microsoft security patch, "PLEASE APPLY NOW!"

As if!

Reply to
Lazarus Long

So far today I've received 46 "Microsoft" update messages. Most were infected.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

_All_ are either infected or have been cleaned. Microsoft does not email patches. Depending on what you've signed up for you may get an email directing you to a web site, but they don't distribute patches via email.

download all patches directly from microsoft. I wouldn't even click on a link in a message I received; just type in microsoft.com in a web browser and click to the patches yourself, if you're not using the windowsupdate tool.

-j

Reply to
Joe User

Reply to
Grandpa

You got me beat. I'm only at 75.

Reply to
J&KCopeland

That sounds about right. After the first hundred, I started cloning filter variables.

Reply to
Upscale

I'm at zero. That's one of advantages to never putting your real email address on USENET in a machine readable form. I don't put mine on USENET in any form unless someone specifically asks for it and has a good reason for asking. Then they get my junk email address.

You really can keep the amount of spam and other crap you get in your email down with a little effort.

Rico

Reply to
Rico

Reply to
Ramsey

I've had about 800 since after dinner yesterday. Working with my sysadmin to try to block them at the server.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone