docx

Anyone care to recommend a converter; docx compatible with Word 97?

XP service pack 3 and I would prefer to avoid open office!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I thought I was the only one left using Word 97! MS do a docx-> Word 97 converter. Google should help. I installed it 2-3 years back and no longer have the file or link. IIRC it was for a later version of Word, but works perfectly for me. HTH Nick.

Reply to
Nick

AVS document converter.

Reply to
harry

BTW, why don't you like Open Office?

Reply to
harry

Well yet to find one, but cannot you find an old copy of Word XP or something that can be used. There are file format convertors for that. doxillion says it works even in the free version but I've found it wanting quite often. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

One way out of course is to install Lotus Symphony, which is free and can be used for editing them as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Or Libra Office. Lotus Symphony does not need Java.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Because I don't know anything about it.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , Nick writes

I looked at the MS site and found it only offered converters for 2000 and up.

I'm happy to try if you reckon it will work.

Bloody DEFRA wants farmers to join the Internet revolution and expects them to be up to date!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It's well worth having a look. It's more compatible with new and old MS office data than most versions of office.

It's a relatively small download. The only major problems I've found are the lack of a decent database capability and some glitches with Powerpoint presentations.

Reply to
John Williamson

Tim, if that doesn't work for you, would anything in this link help?

I'm still using Office 97 Pro

Cash

Reply to
Cash

AFAICR doesn't Word 97 use the same file format (.doc) as Word 2003? It only changed (to .docx) with Word 2007

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Tim Lamb writes

I wasn't sure if the MS compatibility pack went back as far as Word97, but this Ehow article alleges it does:

Reply to
Nick

There's precious little in Libre/Open Office than needs it either, and they get quietly disabled if you haven't got java installed.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, the *name* is the same...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I've just tried it with Libre Office (=E2=89=88 OpenOffice). The conversion is trivial:

  1. Open docx document.
  2. Save as doc document.

Simples.

Reply to
metric_trade

In message , metric snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

Huh!

The MS converter pack is 35Mb

Just about to try it..... I may be gone some time..

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It works fine. Been there, T-shirt, etc

Reply to
GB

Yes. After a bit of fumbling around (file handling is not my favourite activity) it opens OK.

Thanks all.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yeah obviously; but isn't the file format too? ISTR using the two interchangeably at one time (but I could be confusing it with two

*other* versions...)

David

Reply to
Lobster