Wiring a security light

in laws have asked me to fit an external security light - one that looks like a carriage lamp, but has a PIR.
Are there regs about whether it should be powered from a lighting ring, or could I use a spur off the main ring ? I'll fit an fused switch for it.

It should be capable of being switched off for maintenance. I use a key switch on one light and a 2a lighting socket/plug for another,
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
I've yet to encounter any Lighting regulations police roving the streets, so as long as you fit a double pole switch I see no issues!
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Jethro_uk" <jethro snipped-for-privacy@hotmailbin.com> wrote in message
On 11/10/2012 17:22, Jethro_uk wrote:

There are no hard and fast rules, however you need to check the lamp makers instructions - it may require fused protection at 3A. Depending how you wire it, then a means of isolating it may also be required.
So in the case of power from a socket circuit, with a permanent live connection into the unit, you will need switched fused connection unit.
If hanging off the output of an existing light switch on a lighting circuit, a direct connection may be acceptable.
--
Cheers,

John.