Ballcocks!

Well ballcock washers anyway. The one in the cold water tank in the loft in me new house is leaking but due to the tangle of roof trusses up there it's a nightmare to reach the tank, crawling under and over some of the horizontals, trying not to step on the ceiling between the joists and generally fumbling around in the dark as there's no light at that end of the loft.

I managed to get to the tank and turn the inlet tap off as a temporary measure to stop the overflow dripping but have to face it again soon to change the washer. I'd rather buy every possible size of washer first than go up there once to pull it apart and then again to fix it after buying a washer. It's a brass unit about 30mm to 35mm in diameter (I'm guessing as I didn't have a measuring stick with me) with the arm sticking out from underneath that.

Is it likely to be one of a very few standard size washers or do I need to take it apart first?

Reply to
Dave Baker

If it's the standard brass ballcock a washer is a few pence but the whole contaption is very little more and probably the best buy. You simply replace the whole thing with new rather than fiddling around with fitting a washer. About £6 to £8

Reply to
Ericp

In that sort of position, it is almost certainly going to be a size that you don't have with you, no matter how many washers you buy. :-)

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

+1
Reply to
Mr Pounder

And make sure you start the repair as early as possible in the morning so you will still have time to visit a plumbers merchant if you dont have the correct materials.

Reply to
ss

+1 - although since you're in a soft water area it might not be too silted up. But if you fit a new one, you can overhaul the old and keep it as a spare. It sounds like by all the trusses, it's not a very old house, so should be an easy swap.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

From experience, getting the damned thing apart is the main problem if its a hard water area! Ended up with a complete new assembly last time.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Also now is the time to purchase a cheap inspection light and clip it onto a beam. the cable can then be pulled through the hatch and plugged in when you need to go up next time. For ref, its even worse when the loft is insulated as one cannot even feel the joists and the stuff irritates the skin and spiders abound and and... Just as well I'm not allowed up there these days as I cant see.. grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Shouldn't that be: "....WHEN you find you don't have......."?

Reply to
Davey

There are no spider monsters in my loft. I have a light in my loft. I also have an inspection lamp up there. There are no spiders in my loft.

_________________________

Reply to
Mr Pounder

+2 replace it.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

+3 to replace it. Had the same issue myself recently and the PM was right = when they said there's no point messing around, for the money.
Reply to
GMM

Just don't look behind you....

Reply to
John Rumm

-3 Buy the wrong bloody thing, find it won't fit then take the washer out and use it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

You swine!!!!!

Reply to