Lighting the patio

I had a PIR-controlled, mains-powered patio light fixed to the rear wall of my house, about 10 feet from the ground, which eventually failed. I have now removed the defunct light unit and poked the insulated cable ends back into the metal conduit that runs down the outside wall.
I would like the replacement unit not to be controlled by a PIR switch (which keeps turning the light off!) but by an external weatherproof switch. Ideally the light switch would be reachable from the ground, but I suppose a cord-pull would do the trick. I do not really want to add an additional weather-proof switch to the external wall.
The origin of the supply is the fused upstairs lighting ring main located in the loft.
Nothing fancy needed - or solar powered!
Is there such a device on the market?
DJ
David J wrote:

If you have an accessible switch *somewhere* for the light, many of the PIR lights have an over-ride mode which puts the light permanently on, controlled by a on-off-on switching pattern of the supply to the light.
Owain
David J wrote:
So reading the requirements:

<snip>
> I do not really want to

You seem to have a dichotomy!
So stick your external waterproof switch where you do want it...

You need a switch wire either from the point the light is fed from the circuit in the loft, or from the light position itself.

A simple outside switch would do:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GW26213.html
If you don't want to do any extra wiring, then you would need to look at remote control switch gear - but this will be expensive.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 21:21:53 +0100, John Rumm

Thanks guys for all the comments.
Regarding the dichotomy, I could have made myelf slightly clearer above. I was really looking for a light unit that incorporated a weatherproof switch to be wall mounted.
Clearly the problem would then be that I wouldn't be able to reach the switch. But I was wondering if any existed with a chain/cord pull switch - rather like those used in a bathroom.
It looks like its a problem awaiting a solution...
DJ

My outside floods are also fed from the lighting ring in the loft. I just put in a switch drop to a point high up on a wall in the upstairs hall, so the lights are switched on from inside the house ...
Arfa
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:33:25 +0100 someone who may be "Arfa Daily"
I suspect very strongly that you don't have a lighting ring circuit.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
wrote this:-

Yeah, yeah. There always has to be one, doesn't there ? (Sloppily considered) figure of speech. I knew what I meant. You knew what I meant. The OP knew what I meant. Probably just about anybody else on here knew what I meant. But just in case
" My outside floods are also fed from the << upstairs >> lighting << circuit >> in the loft,
I just put in a switch drop to a point high up on a wall in the upstairs hall, so the lights are switched on from inside the house ... "
OK ? Happy now we're all clear on that ?
Arfa
On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:31:27 +0100 someone who may be "Arfa Daily"
Yawn.

Possibly, but there was one poster here who claimed that his lighting circuits were wired as rings. Can't be bothered to look up who it was.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
wrote this:-

Yawn indeed. Go back to sleep, my friend ...
Arfa
wrote this:-

True
True
True
Possibly - a newbie reading might have assumed lighting circuits were meant to be rings like the power circuit and worried unnecessarily. Of no importance to the thread itself but you never know who's reading.
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

That's what I wanted to say.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

LOL, reminds me of the IT guy from The Office:
Talking about Bruce Lee: You know when he's fighting Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon? No? You not seen that? No? Have you not, I cant... that is a classic. No, Ive not seen him fight Chuck Norris in ENTER the Dragon, Ive seen him fight Chuck Norris in WAY OF the Dragon. Ah, thats what I meant, that's what I meant. Is it? Why did you say have you seen him fight Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon? He fights Bob Wall in both, but Norris is only in Way of the Dragon. Yeah, I know, so when hes fighting Chuck Norris- In what? In Way of the Dragon. Correct. At last.
wrote this:-

LOL, reminds me of the IT guy from The Office:
Talking about Bruce Lee: You know when he's fighting Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon? No? You not seen that? No? Have you not, I cant... that is a classic. No, Ive not seen him fight Chuck Norris in ENTER the Dragon, Ive seen him fight Chuck Norris in WAY OF the Dragon. Ah, thats what I meant, that's what I meant. Is it? Why did you say have you seen him fight Chuck Norris in Enter the Dragon? He fights Bob Wall in both, but Norris is only in Way of the Dragon. Yeah, I know, so when hes fighting Chuck Norris- In what? In Way of the Dragon. Correct. At last.
LOL !! Nice one ... !
Arfa