OT: Stupid Bloody Android

I accidentally discovered to my considerable delight that tap-hold produces right-click-type actions on Android.

Or I plug it into my computer with the USB cable and it appears as a drive on my computer and I can do file-deleting things from there.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1

Been using it since 1975 and it's *still* more productive.

Reply to
Bob Eager

MS has PowerShell.

I had to use it the other day as Veeam backup (for VMWare) only has a PS interface as it runs on windows.

MS managed to c*ck that up - horrid language. Wonder why they didn't they just pick python???

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's a mish-mash, the core idea of being able to pipe objects between commandlets, similar to unix/dos pipes text between processes is a good one, no need to parse using grep, cut, sed and friends, just access the object properties.

Error handling is poor, it's very much hope it works and carry-on, yes in newer versions you can have structured exception handling, but in general people don't bother and fall back to a Visual-basic-like "on error continue" mentality.

Some things (such as html parsing) are inefficient and dog slow.

I used to prefer jscript with COM objects, wrote plenty of powerful scripts over the yea^H^H^Hdecades that way.

The only good thing about it, is that most technologies you will meet in a MS environment do hook into powershell.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I came up against this problem whilst testing an upgrade from Linux Mint

17.1 KDE (LM17) to Linux Mint 18.1 KDE (LM18) as part of a slew of upgrades required to allow me to install the latest (ver 2.0.9) Kaffeine needed to utilise the T2 muxes on Freeview that I could tune into with a recently purchased DVB-T2 PCIe adapter bought specifically to let me record Freeview HD broadcasts.

After installing LM18 on my test rig, I discovered that the mouse actions had (rather unconscionably, imho) reverted to single click to launch the default action. Double clicking simply created duplicate actions.

Eventually, I realised that I could single click select a file by more accurately targeting the mouse pointer onto the file's icon at the leftmost end of the filename. It turns out that the file's icon and the actual name are two seperate components, a fact that only becomes apparent when you land up faced with such a kakamaimee configuration as single click launch (otherwise it wouldn't matter which of those two components you choose to click on).

I did change this behaviour back to the almost universal standard of 'doubleclick launch' shortly after making this 'discovery'. Life's just too short to be having to learn a new and (what's worse) s**te way of doing a common task.

Anyhow, the point I was making is that you may find that you can select the file, without the system applying a default action, by 'touching' just the icon part of the filename. This probably means the use of a stylus to get this sort of pin point accuracy. It might not work but you won't know until you've tried the experiment.

HTH & Good luck!

Reply to
Johnny B Good

It come pre installed on some systems but not on stock android machines...

Yea well average users think the get MS Office for free on their PC ;-)

I just tried that. It created a file and gave it a word icon (which I don't have installed). Touch it briefly and I get a popup asking if I want to open it with Google word, MS Word or another app - and the option of selecting one as default. Choosing word then gives the option to install etc.

Backing out of that, and touching and holding the icon puts it into multi selection mode with that file pre-selected. It displays a tool bar at the bottom with a trash can icon (along with copy, cut etc). Touch that and it deletes it.

Seems pretty much what I would expect, and intuitive enough once you have learnt the difference between a touch and a long touch (or a double click and single click in desktop OS tradition)

Same could be said of the users sometimes ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I find the easiest way to do file management on my android device is to attach them to my PC and do it in Windows.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Well I just take the memory card out and stick it into my PC memory card slot :-)

But I was away (for a week) at the time and only had the tab with me.

tim

Reply to
tim...

If you're a Unix geek, yeah

but if you are a normal person, not

(FTAOD a normal person with a 2-I in Computer Science and 35 years software development experience. You'll note that that length of time puts my uni degree course during the time-frame when Uinx was a baby and Linux yet to be invented, so, not going to UC Berkeley, wasn't routinely studied.)

tim

Reply to
tim...

using Unix commercially in 1975 puts you in a set of about 3 people

tim

Reply to
tim...

well yes it is

if you know how to get there (on an Android machine I have absolutely no idea - no I don't want to know)

and if you already know the command to do what you want

IME Unix commands are usually not "guessable", if you don't already know them, you'll never find out

tim

Reply to
tim...

I know

but it doesn't work in this instance. I tried, multiple times

tim

Reply to
tim...

don't get me started about accurate targeting

to close a tab in Chrome you have to tap some way to the left of "X".

tap on the "X" and it performs "open new tab"

tim

Reply to
tim...

If you're one of a very large number of people who do this for a living...

You ought to be able to manage with a shell then, surely?

Reply to
Tim Watts

We were teaching UNIX 41 years ago. You went to the wrong university.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I used PS for the first time a couple of weeks ago, to try and fix a silly install problem. As you say ...

Reply to
Bob Eager
[18 lines snipped]

I always found it amusing that as soon as Windows went *bang*, the admins (who, by the way, at the time, reported to me) dropped into a command line. So your assertion is shit.

Reply to
Huge

4, there's me too! :-)
Reply to
Chris Green

There's 'man -k xxxx' which often *does* help find a command you don't know.

Reply to
Chris Green

So which GUI were "normal" people using 35 years ago? Mainframes used the command line for decades before that (and after).

Reply to
Bob Martin