Decent MP3 player?

Hi,

Would appreciate a bit of advice as I've never bought one of these before. I'm looking for something like a 20GB player which will play MP3 files (not something which converts MP3s to it's own format).

A decent battery life (>10 hours) is important and an FM tuner would be a bit of an advantage too. (Not essential though).

Can anyone give me some initial advice on brand and/or a recommended online seller?

TIA (as always).

H.

Reply to
Howie

Are you sure you need the capacity? 20GB is approx 200 albums, and brings various drawbacks re size, weight, cost & battery life. Something like eBay 5751178621 would carry 10 albums, and runs forever on one AAA. Thumbsized, with an FM radio, and trivially cheap.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I've got a Creative Zen Micro, only 5GB but very small and about 12hours battery. I've got a spare USB lead so I can charge it at work as we speak, oh and transfer stuff to it.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Steve Walker wrote in article :

I bought an mp3 player last summer. I wanted a hard drive one with massive capacity too, but I ended-up taking other advice.

In the end, I bought a Sony NE700, which plays ordinary CDs as well as mp3 and atrac coded CDs using a pair of plain or rechargeable AA batteries. This was good for me, as I have a solar-powered battery charger and I was camping.

On the downside, the capacity is limited to 700MB per CD and it has no radio. On the plus side, it cost less than a hundred quid, is easy to power and it plays ordinary CDs.

Reply to
Keith Nuttall

I've got an Archos 20Gb, which I really like, but the battery life is poor so I was looking at the Zen as well. Does it still require the POS Creative software to files like the earlier Creative jukeboxes?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Lee I have a feeling that before being upgraded to MTP it appears as a USB disk (after adding driver) but behaves differently after a firmware upgrade.I just use the Zen Micro Media Explorer (integrates into explorer) and just drag and drop files to it.

Also handy for deleting stuff off it as I load up and then find I dont like it so just delete it off the device.

Reply to
Ian Middleton

Thanks Ian. I had several problems with the proprietary Creative software that came with the earlier jukeboxes, so I've been put off them since. Main reason for buying the Archos was that it appears *just* as a USB disk. If Creative have improved the software to the point where it actually

*works* then I may have to reconsider ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Hi,

I have an iRiver H140 (40gb), but they do a 20gb one H120. the battery life id fantastic, I get easily 14 hours and the sound quality is great. They are "old stock" now, as they have upgraded to a newer model, but I know richer sounds still have them. I'd definately recommend one, it is a definate iPod beater (IMO!)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Hibbert

If it plays ordinary CDs it's huge compared to what it needs to be.

M.

Reply to
Markus Splenius

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Why should other people change their behaviour when it's you that has the broken software? Try using something that's vaguely standards- compliant.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You could very well be right. It's OE. The error message was about "resolving" the names of the two groups, one of which isn't in OE's list of newsgroups (because it's an internal plusnet one). Actually it then offers to send the post anyway, but I said No. Sorry - think I was confused. I foolishly assumed the error was caused by it trying to contact my news server and then failing, but trying it again I now see that the router light didn't even flicker - it's just an internally generated stupid error message from OE.

Thanks for pointing this out and apologies to the OP.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

|I'm pleased with my Archos Gmini 220. | |It's a 20GB Hard Disc player and also has a CF slot on the side for sucking |the contents out of camera memory cards. Works a treat, and none of this |Apple or Sony DRM nonsense. Just good old fashioned MP3s. (Might play WMA |files as well allegedly, but as they have a whiff of DRM about them I've had |no interest in that side of things.) | |Regards, |Simon.

Well, thanks to everyone for the advice.

Looks like the Archos might be the best option. I'd never heard of them before, - but their online store seems very good and the product reviews look great too! I'll do some more looking around first, but I might go with this one.

Thanks again all.

H.

Reply to
Howie

In what way is trying to post to a non-existent group "non standards compliant"? If the OP wants to see an answer, he should do as suggested.

Reply to
Huge

On 15 Feb 2005, Howie wrote

-snip- Before replying to the follow-up thread in uk.d-i-y, I need to see how XNews (which *is* standards-compliant) reacts to trying to post to plusnet.tech.general.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

On 16 Feb 2005, Huge wrote

I don't think the OP set the follow-ups to plusnet, though, did he?

If there was no follow-up and he's reading both groups, he'll see the ones you post to uk.d-i-y.

I've just tested, and my newsreader (XNews) had no problem posting a response which showed up here -- presumably the one to the plusnet group (which I can't access) just died in the process -- so like Rob, I wouldn't expect your newsreader to throw a hissy-fit if there's a non- existent group listed.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Didn't he? My apologies, then.

Quite.

Quite so. And mine (xvnews) doesn't care, so long as there is at least one existent group. (Although the error actually comes from the news server - INN in my case - rather than from the newsreader.)

Reply to
Huge

Markus Splenius wrote in article :

Okay then: another downside is that that your moby will have to go in another pocket.

Reply to
Keith Nuttall

Gravity says "Removed: plusnet.tech.general" then "Some newsgroup names are invalid. Send anyway?" and then sends the post with the invalid group still in the header!

Reply to
Rob Morley