OT: speed limiter regs in cars

Yeah, although there are surprisingly few that do that currently.

Not clear why, presumably because the sign recognition isnt as good as it could be.

Dunno, havent check that be those and the Telsa arent viable for me.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Probably easy enough to make software that will recognise a sign. A lot harder to add the context and interpretation that humans routinely do.

I already mentioned that my Auris believes what it reads on the back of a foreign truck. What about temporary limit signs where the people involved don't put a sign afterwards restoring the original speed limit. A 20mph sign, f'rinstance, at roadworks, with no corresponding no-limit or 40mph (or whatever it was) sign afterwards. Or there is one, but it got knocked or blown over.

People won't be best pleased when their posh new car is then limited to

20mph for the next five miles.
Reply to
Tim Streater

I just keep my foot down. You can set an 'over the limit' tolerance.

It has problems with slip roads on A roads that go off at a very shallow angle, and have lower limits posted right at their start. This one fools it...

It works fine with the variable motorway limits.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My Ford S-Max has the auto control as well, with a kick down override. Fooled, however, by some slip roads:

Bob Eager

Well it would. The software is not applying any common sense to the situation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That?s less than ideal when driving all day or night.

Yeah, you can with most.

Yeah, tho that is easy to fix by using a database instead of signs.

But the french system doesn?t have any signs that change.

Reply to
Jac Brown

I'm going to put a sign outside my house renameing it from Wolesley to 5MPH with red and white as the main colours. Aheem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I doubt if they want to in your case. However, as you are never knowingly understood you should know the proposal originated not in the European Onion but the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I do occasionally see fake speed cameras that enterprising householders have put up.

GB

I'm not sure what common sense could get that right. It's not that clear to a driver.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The problem is it takes two to tango, and for every "didn't look" pedestrian you can find a moron going too fast *for the circumstances* that didn't give themselves a chance to brake.

Ultimately, the harsh reality is motorised traffic simply doesn't mix well with non-motorised traffic. With the caveat of space and political will, the Spanish have some great roads with cars kept separate from bikes which in turn are kept separate from pedestrians.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

OK fair enough :-)

I suppose what I meant was that there's plenty of situations where a person can know that a sign doesn't apply to them or that a sign has finished applying to them, where software won't succeed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Space is exactly what we lack in the places where it's most needed.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh, there is. On the Old Thanet Way right now there are roadworks with a

40mph limit. There is no clear sign where they end, but it's obvious to the driver. That probably wouldn't matter except that most of the 'repeater' signs (which the car will see and act on) are missing...I end up using the kick-down. Once I've gone over 40mph, the system ignores the limit until I drop below 40mph - by that time, it has actually seen a repeater anyway.

Incidentally the Google Maps link is to the Dover bound A2 just after Brenley Corner - not the Boughton exit, but the next one, just after the garage.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's the required kick-down that annoys me. On our old C4, that used to take a time to work, by which time your car has been shredded by the exploding tire on the truck you're edging past.

Yes, as I saw when I exited Street View.

This proposal feels to me a bit like the 737Max software. Sounds like a good idea but is it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I did caveat that ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yes, I'm furiously agreeing with you :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

Many people would be happy to pay a bit more tax for a licence to speed!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not if police cars have it too!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes, but note that the most accidetns happen where peole are poorest, and wonlt be spending so much on cars or roads.

I'm not sure how even the simple problem of pot holes will get sorted.

Reply to
whisky-dave