OT: speed limiter regs in cars

I suspect you won't be able to override the proposed system, so what if it kicks in when you're half way through an overtaking manoeuvre?

Reply to
Max Demian
<snip>

Or me on my bike with a 10mph sign stuck on my back.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

You will. And you will also be able to turn it off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I see a market for cycling jackets :->>>

Reply to
Tim Watts

AIUI you will be able to override it (by "kick-down") but that will trigger a warning sound after a few seconds. And that the override may be only for a transitional period.

One conspiracy theory is that this is a wheeze to boost the sales of Porsche, Audi, BMW et al over the next 3 years as people buy to beat the

2022 deadline :)
Reply to
Robin

They could cater for that, instead of limiting the speed they could issue a speeding fine, say every five minutes. I doubt if they would keep doing it though as the car would refuse to start after they got 12 points. Or maybe issue fines for driving while disqualified?

Reply to
dennis

I read it could also be switched off - but would default to on when the engine was restarted.

Bit like the auto-engine-off feature on my MINI.

Tim Watts

Oh you may well be right. I was going by the text from the Commission which had (in Article 6(2)) a clear "(b) it shall not be possible to switch off or suppress the system;". But the Parliament may have amended that, and I've not seen the text as it came from them.

Reply to
Robin

The newspaper articles seem to say that it can be switched off until the car next starts, but after a few years to let drivers get used to the system, new cars will no longer have the option to switch it off.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I expect drivers to concentrate just enough to not hit things most of the time. They often seem unaware of anything that's not visible through the windscreen, and some things that are. When I hear a siren and see a blue light behind me[1] I pull over to make space and stop when necessary - that often results in several cars overtaking, because the drivers are not paying attention to anything other than where they're going. When they do figure out what's going on they've already delayed the emergency vehicle.

[1] I live near a hospital, fire station and police headquarters so it's a pretty common occurrence.
Reply to
Rob Morley

This is one that the Yanks have got right: blue light = STOP NOW, by law (it's an offence if you don't).

Too many people here think it helps if they speed up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Far too many UK roads are too narrow and with the opposite side blocked by a queue of traffic, so sometimes it does make sense to speed up, when you know that there is a side road, a bus pull-in or an un-bollarded section of pavement where you can actually get out of the way. One of the things the emergency services complain about frequently is people just stopping when they see a blue light, instead of finding somewhere to do so that is out of their way.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Absolutely, I've seen that at a nearby busy (at times) light controlled crossroads - people waiting to turn right who weren't paying attention find a fire engine has suddenly appeared next to them and they panic, just sitting there when they should be driving off the junction along whichever route is available to them. It seemed to be ages before they figured this out and let the engine through.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Its very clear to a driver what that speed limit applies to.

And not that hard for software either.

And even easier for the software to use the speed limit database and see what speed limit applies to the road the car is on and the software needs to know that to be a viable satnav.

Reply to
Jac Brown

Crims can drive pre-2022 cars.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've spent a lot of time in a car in my life, and I have only seen one accident that was down to excessive speed, and that is ampngst diozens if not hundreds.

And thatt was young lads in dads rover 3500, doing 130 on a siungle carrigeway overtaking swerving to avoid oncoming and losing it ending up upisde down and backwards in a ditch.

Really brought home to me the seatbelt thing., Front passengers shaken but ok. Rear seat boys with no belts on all banged up and covered in blood.

EVERY SINGLE OTHER ACCIDENT has been due to inattention or lack of visibility or just plain bad luck.

driving too close to the vehicle in fromt is a major cause of serious pile ups on motorways when a braking event cascased doen the queue. Nothing to do with speed.

Pulling out in front of someone you didnt see...I did that. Car turning left so I go. Invisible motorcycle who had been overtaking him slams into me. He apologised accepted it was his fault entirely and we shook hands.

Seen that at a roundabout in the west country. car comes straight out of entry road and is slammed into by someone coming round the roundabout. Didnt see or wasnt looking. Nothing to do with speed.

Total write off of neigbour when deer jumps out in front of car well under rural speed limit., No use 'being able to stop in the distance you can see' because they come out of the hedges at you.

Only 'safe' speed is walking pace.

Nobidy dri8ves at a speed that guarbtees they kill theselves or someonbe lese. What they need is eyes on the road, not te speedometer and absolutely not on the kid in the back spitting sweets at te windscreen

Ther are two possible ways tomake private transport safer.

The first is to stop regulating it and simply make drivers better trained, we have flight simulators that run on a PC - why not car simulators, and make passing every single possible test of driver awareness and car conttrol mandatory for a license.

And stop prosecuting fir technical offenses but make every singfle accident the subkect of a thorough investai=gatin in which balme is assigned to drvesr, the council that maintains the road or to mechanical failure.

How many drivers do yOU know who will never exceed a speed limit, but who remain a danger to theselves and to otrehrs?

Or buy a driverless car and shut the f*ck up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had an Opel Manta once. I followed a red jaguar full of unifomed polds but othertwise unmarked across the bedforshire fens at 115mph, before I lost them.

Police think they are above the law. 130mph on a single carriageway A road?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What it probably can't do is recognise unsigned 30mph areas due to street lighting. (Obviously, GPS and database has the potential to do this.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

The road the sign is on or closest too.

Reply to
Jac Brown

They could be done for inconsiderate driving, although the overtaker might have to be careful not to cop that one too.

Reply to
Rob Morley