OT Solar power.

On 10/07/2014 22:36, newshound wrote: ...

Easy enough to demonstrate. Running 3 metres of stone through one of the online u-value calculators gives a value of 0.40 W/m^2K.

Reply to
Nightjar

There shouldn't be any need to fit _another_ lock, just track down where you put the keys when you first took delivery and add them to yours and the other half's key rings. I'm assuming a chest freezer which, imle, are typically supplied with a lock already fitted.

In fact check to see if any of those 'mystery keys' on your keyring correspond to the freezer door/lid lock, you never know! :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good

On 10/07/2014 23:25, Johny B Good wrote: ...

I was under the impression that it had been a requirement in the UK, since around the 1970s, that any fridge / freezer that would be large enough for a child to climb into must be possible to open from the inside.

Reply to
Nightjar

IF you got an accredited heating engineer to submit a report they would accept it.

I thought it was lower than that...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wouldn't guarantee that an online calculator, chosen at random, is going to give an accurate value for that thickness of stone, particularly as it didn't give me a choice of stone. Those I found that gave me a choice of stone would not accept a thickness greater than 600mm.

You would do better with an Elizabethan brick built castle. The u-value for a 3m thick brick wall comes out at 0.2 W/m^2K.

Reply to
Nightjar

Is that with 13 cavities?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yup!

Actually enough wattle horsehair dung and so on ain't bad either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or insist that the commercial scale Solar PV or Wind etc have to be dispatchable and thus compete on the market.

How do you make 'em dispatchable? How about a liquid air plant, when the sun is shining or wind blowing you liquify air and shove the "waste" heat into the ground. When power is demanded you release the air driving a turbine getting the required heat from the ground.

Inter seasonal ground heat storeage systems are about, liquid air generation plant is available. You could even transport the liquid air if you wanted to, maybe with a vehicle also powered by liquid air.

I should imagine a liquid air plant can spin up PDQ so they will be able to provide power at top market rates, thus removing the need for FITs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, that's not my problem, is it. It's up to the wind experts to solve that. If they claim their new farm can provide enough leccy for "10,000 homes" or whatever it is, then I expect that to be the case 365 x 7 x 24. Otherwise they're just lying. If they fail in that, then I expect a refund to be paid to the country. That's what would happen in any other industry, why should they be any different.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You know as well as I do that if they had to be dispatchable the cost of the bolt on goodies would make them not just totally uneconomic - which they already are, but carbon negative in terms of carbon saved versus manufacturing carbon used.

The whole renewable industry depends on lies and fraud. Introducing reasonable measures to make it actually work would expose the fraud and no one wants to do that.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Because they are there to exploit 'green' marketing to make money. Not to actually work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hydo is about the only true renewable, remmebr energy can't be gained or created only changed.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I think that might have come later.

Reply to
charles

Oddly enough, I couldn't find an online u-value calculator that gave wattle and daub as an option.

Reply to
Nightjar

The whole nuclear industry is founded on lies.

harryagain

So that's it, then, we're all doomed, and the only sensible thing to do is throw some more coal on the fire....

At least we know how that works and how to get rid of the waste. :-?

We can't use wood as that would deforest the landscape, killing all the wildlife.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , harryagain scribeth thus

David Byers

Founder director, Renewable Energy Association, ex-nuclear integrity scientist

Monbiot also disregards clear evidence from his most cited source ? the Unscear report 2000. Apart from physical illness, the report mentions psychological disorders due to fear of radiation, inevitable rumours of detrimental health effects, stress of relocation, economic hardships and highly politicised handling of the consequences of the accident. This is not to be neglected in the discussion about health impacts of radiation.

Stefan Schurig

Director, Climate Energy World Future Council Foundation

nuff said to make it not worth reading as usual................

Reply to
tony sayer

There you are. Ex nuclear man rejects the concept. So you didn't read it? Another one with his head up his arse.

Reply to
harryagain

Are you bonkers?

Reply to
harryagain

Just observant... look around you, hydro is the only renewable with a proven track record that can make a useful contribution to a national grind infrastructure without destabilising it or destroying the market for other power producers that are capable of running 24/7. Hence if you have the geography to use it, it would be foolish not to.

Reply to
John Rumm