OT Solar power.

termites know how to do that too.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Providied I didn;t open it too often, makes you wonder why they don't make friges and freezers with sufficiently thick walls

Not everyone can have their flat or house walls 3 foot or more thick. Most modern building are just a couple of pieces of plasterboard and a gap.

Reply to
whisky-dave

like coal and gas? it's renewable isn't it, sure it may take a few million years, but it's renewable all the same,

Reply to
Gazz

They'd get re-invented before too long

Reply to
Andy Burns

Wind, tides, geothermal hydro, etc.

Reply to
harryagain

Same problem as solar - zero guaranteed output and no ability to dispatch based on need.

(not to mention reducing the economic viability of dispatchable and controllable plant)

Too expensive and too environmentally damaging, combined with inadequate generating capacity.

Insufficient suitable sites in the UK, and lack of capacity.

Most practical large scale sites already developed in the UK, insufficient capacity.

What about something we could actually use harry?

Reply to
John Rumm

Nuclear is the best answer.

Reply to
Nightjar

With some CCGT in the mix.

Reply to
John Rumm

If we also have to have some renewable energy, I would go for tidal flow (not tidal barrage). However, it is never going to be anything like a complete answer.

Reply to
Nightjar

The point is we don't. Have to have any 'renewable' bunny hugging tree hugging energy .

Once you have any nuclear at all, the principle is established and you might as well save yourself a huge amount of money and have as much of it as your baseload will stand, and then some.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Rod Speed writes

Just a load of s**te which is much the same thing

Reply to
bert

Unfortunately parliament's full of them and they are the ones who make the policies.

Reply to
bert

As long as you don't open the door to often. A bit difficult in a household with teenage grazers.

Reply to
bert

Well referring to gridwatch the French gave it well sorted, mainly Nuclear and a fair old bit of Hydro and flog the spare to Germany and other Euro countries inc the UK;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

In message , The Other Mike writes

You mean it's not flat?

Reply to
bert

Nuclear is the only answer

Reply to
bert

Put a door lock on that only releases when there is power :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

In the early days of freezers in Canada, that is exactly what was done - but there was a key override to stop you starving.

Reply to
charles

Ah, you mean places like Hawaii.

AKA

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes I appreciate that. My point was that as long as you run the system at freezing point it is 80 times as effective as a hot water bottle (not strictly a valid sum, but I hope you see what I mean). But if you try to run it as a *freezer* by adding salt, you use up the latent heat much more quickly.

Going back to TNP's point, I wonder what the planners would make of an application claiming that 3 metres of stone met the required U value.

Reply to
newshound