It's here

My new greenhouse. At least the 5 boxes were delivered yesterday morning at 8:00. My husband spent the morning looking at the video and getting wood for the base. The concrete was poured last week. I got a large one from Costco. One of my sons is coming down tomorrow to help. I can hardly wait.

My broccoli, rapini and lettuce will be very grateful.

Reply to
The Cook

Groovy!!! :-) Be sure to post a jpeg when you are done???

Reply to
Katra

Absolutely. I am taking pictures at each interval. Just so I can bore the world with them.

Reply to
The Cook

I think I already bored the world with my greenhouse jpegs... Mine are just 8x8 popups but they are working OH so well and were within both my financial and time budget.

It sounds like you are putting up a "real" greenhouse. :-) Not like my cheepies.

can see the passion vine growing over the roof of the one in the middle. That one is mostly for cactus propagation:

one on the left is my seed starter for now.....

They are all closed up for cold weather here. There is a door on either side that is also screened and the plastic doors wrap back and secure. They are really just glorified plastic tents, but well designed and remarkably sturdy. There are also 4 screened vents/windows on either side.

They also have a 3 year warantee.

Reply to
Katra

Somehow, spending time in your own greenhouse would have to be good for the soul. Sounds very neat.

Reply to
Ken Anderson

Do you heat those pop-up greenhouses (I've never used a greenhouse)? Thanks for the pictures, by the way. I think you just gave me the idea I was searching for, if I can find a place to buy them around here!

Reply to
samuel

We just put a clip on lamp in them during the winter to prevent freezing... The greenhouses never dropped much below 50 degrees using a single 100 watt bulb.

They are $260.00 each and that includes delivery. I'm wishing I could somehow manage to get a contract to sell those things around here. :-) So far, I've only been able to find them on line. Here is the URL:

I discovered these, I did a _lot_ of searching on line for "portable greenhouses" and this really was the best deal for the size.

I'm still going to envy cook her greenhouse tho'. But, these really are working very well, and can be taken down in the summer if you wish...

Reply to
Katra

Thanks so much for the info! This kind of advice is invaluable to beginners, so I hope you don't think it goes unappreciated!

Reply to
samuel

Most welcome! :-)

Reply to
Katra

Sounds good. Where are you located? Any thoughts on how much this will increase your growing time per year?

Also please feel free to update here regarding your assessment of the particular brand, design, etc.

Reply to
Antipodean Bucket Farmer

What was the temp outside?

Penelope

Reply to
Penelope Periwinkle

It never got much below 30 this year, I think it hit 28 at the coldest but it was enough to freeze everything else in the yard! :-(

But, that's winter! It generally never gets any colder than maybe 15 to

17F above zero. My first attempt at an outdoor winter garden did well with brocolli, kale, mustard and a BUNCH of red swiss chard. I expect to get a lot more chard this year from it and just planted more babies I started from seed in greenhouse #2.

The idea of warming the greenhouse is just to keep it above 32 so one could use more than one lamp if necessary for colder temps. I live in Central Texas. These seem to hold the heat nicely.

One greenhouse has a pair baby frogs I developed from tadpoles, and a tank of escargot snails I'm experimenting with, so it was important to keep it reasonabley warm! I had an additional lamp a bit closer to them with a 75 watt bulb.

We will be building a pond hopefully this year and I want to raise those two leopard frogs up large enough to release into it.

The snails will only be released into a steamer pot. ;-d

Reply to
Katra

Here is the URL at Costco for the greenhouse.

comes with just about everything you could want to have in the greenhouse. My husband got the wooden base and the aluminum frame done by early afternoon Friday (rained on Thursday.) My son arrived about 3 PM. By 6 PM they had 2 walls up. The weather on Saturday was great. They had most the outside done that day. Yesterday they finished up the 2 person jobs by noon. I will point out that my husband has finished a basement, made an extra room from the back porch, built a storage shed and put vinyl siding on a 2 story house. My son is in the business of assembling and repairing exercise equipment so we are talking about knowledge levels here.

I am located in the foothills of Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina (USA.) Saturday it was 56F and sunny. Today it is snowing. I am hoping to be able to get at least a month head start on my seeds. I also needed a place to work and put seedlings since there is really no place in the house. Besides, I have wanted a greenhouse for years. I am also going to see what I can keep going over the winter. Hopefully lettuce, tomatoes, some herbs. It is all a big experiment this year and I am getting a late start.

Guess I will have to go out and hold things while my husband finishes with the pop rivets.

Reply to
The Cook

That is quite a nice building, wow! :-) A proffesional grade greenhouse.....

Have fun!

Reply to
Katra