Well no wonder !

  Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have been marauding
my tomato patch . I thought I had it better protected ... yesterday
afternoon I set up my game cam in the corner where they've been eating
their ill-gotten gains , only to discover there are 3 shifts ... late
afternoon/early evening , the squirrels dine , then after dark the
raccoons come in , followed later by the 'possums . Looks like I need to
improve the protection out there . I have to admit , the west side is
hard to get to because of the wild blackberries and I've let the chicken
wire and 'lectric wires get overgrown a little . It's been working so
well until recently that I've become complacent , and that's gotta end .
I'm not certain if they're crawling under the chicken wire or going over
, probably the latter since there are sags that weren't there when I
installed it . Either way , I'll be out there today tightening things up
in an effort to stop it - all the ripe or nearly ripe 'maters are gone ,
and they've started in on the green ones , I gotta do something or this
will be the end of tomato season for this year . And I've got a lot more
jars to fill .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
raccoons/possums/squirrels ignore the tomatoes here. not sure why. we don't really have many squirrels in our yard (too open the hawks chase them).
are you having a dry spell? consider putting some water sources out and about away from the garden.
unfortunately once creatures find a food source for one reason they tend to keep coming back.
songbird
Reply to
songbird
  OK , I know most of y'all don't have the conditions I do here living out in the woods . So trap the l'il sucker , carry him out into the woods (so to speak) and cap him there .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
If I could shoot out back, I'd use my .22LR. Trapping laws vary and around here you can trap and kill but not release off your property. I trap and release anyway. When I was still working in the lab with access to chemicals an older chemist told me to pour a bottle of chloroform down the groundhog's burrow where the heavy vapor would settle underground in the tunnel bottom. Groundhog would go in and get anesthetized permanently. It worked for one in my back yard.
Reply to
Frank
I have a lot of customers up in the mountains. The have to build fully enclosed enclosures if they want a garden. And they have to line the floor with bricks or tile to keep critters from digging under the walls. The enclosures look pretty, but they tend to be awfully small. Would only fit 1/5 of my garden.
Reply to
  Depends on the load ... a 22-250 hollow point at 3800 fps MV , yes . A .243 HP at 3300 , maybe if you hit the body . Regular .22 LR , no .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
No but it might work too. I prefer the Hav-a-hart and tell people I relocate them to more affluent neighborhoods.
I took a couple with a bow at deer camp I used to go to. Taste like chicken.
Reply to
Frank
  Squirrels too . Unless you get a head or upper spine shot they ain't hangin' around . I've seen them drag themselves off and claw their way up a tree with their back legs totally dead . I have declared war on the local squirrel population , they are apparently the major destroyers of my tomato patch .I figger if I kill all the ones that know there's a bounty there , the better chance the few tomatoes left will have a chance . There are still a lot of blossoms ... and they too deserve a chance . TOMATO LIVES MATTER !
Reply to
Terry Coombs
Friend in a nearby development uses subsonic .22LR on them. Another, bothered by them, asked what to do and I suggested a pellet gun but now he uses his shotgun as with 40 acres he can do anything. He just wanted to keep them out when he was not around. Squirrel population bounces back but if you get rid of the locals that are already hanging around you probably remove most of the problem. They look cute but are nothing but tree rats.
Reply to
Frank
  Funny you should mention shotguns ... I was considering using one , kinda like an instant gratification thing . I also (usually) use subsonic .22 ammo , and they seldom expire on the spot .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
I guess it depends on the noise level you can get away with. I can't shoot in my yard most of the time and the critters are not around when I might be able to shoot them. That's the beauty of a trap, it is always there and waiting to trap them. Then you can dispatch them in the trap as it can be a nuisance to transport a lot of them. I once had to take a half dozen trips to release squirrels before I finally caught the groundhog I was after.
Reply to
Frank
  Frank , I live 12 miles from the nearest town in a clearing out in the woods ... noise is not a problem . There are neighbors , but we can only see one of them . In the winter , when the trees are bare .
Reply to
Terry Coombs
Trouble may come if someone hears a shot when not expected. I'm thinking of incident in friends deer camp that had neighbors calling the game warden in on us to check the camp. One of the hunters there had fired a few tracer rounds after dark just to see what they looked like and somebody living maybe a quarter mile away called the game warden.
Reply to
Frank
  The neighbors are more likely to trigger off a few rounds than I am . Unless I'm sighting in something it's very rare to shoot more than one round ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Site Timeline Threads