Well no wonder !

  Seems that in the last week or two something(s) have been marauding my tomato patch . I thought I had it better protected ... yesterday afternoon I set up my game cam in the corner where they've been eating their ill-gotten gains , only to discover there are 3 shifts ... late afternoon/early evening , the squirrels dine , then after dark the raccoons come in , followed later by the 'possums . Looks like I need to improve the protection out there . I have to admit , the west side is hard to get to because of the wild blackberries and I've let the chicken wire and 'lectric wires get overgrown a little . It's been working so well until recently that I've become complacent , and that's gotta end . I'm not certain if they're crawling under the chicken wire or going over , probably the latter since there are sags that weren't there when I installed it . Either way , I'll be out there today tightening things up in an effort to stop it - all the ripe or nearly ripe 'maters are gone , and they've started in on the green ones , I gotta do something or this will be the end of tomato season for this year . And I've got a lot more jars to fill .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Terry Coombs wrote:

raccoons/possums/squirrels ignore the tomatoes here. not sure why. we don't really have many squirrels in our yard (too open the hawks chase them).
are you having a dry spell? consider putting some water sources out and about away from the garden.
unfortunately once creatures find a food source for one reason they tend to keep coming back.
songbird
On 8/12/2018 7:50 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Groundhogs are eating my neighbors tomatoes. Time for the Hav-a-hart trap.
On 8/12/2018 2:28 PM, Frank wrote:

  22-250 from 300 yards .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 08/12/2018 01:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

hart

Do they explode when you hit them?
On 8/15/2018 12:49 AM, T wrote:

  Depends on the load ... a 22-250 hollow point at 3800 fps MV , yes . A .243 HP at 3300 , maybe if you hit the body . Regular .22 LR , no .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 08/15/2018 04:33 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

een

yes .

A rabbit/hare won't go down with a 22 LR.
On 8/15/2018 12:14 PM, T wrote:

Sure they will but probably not right away unless hit in the head or the spine.
On 8/15/2018 12:30 PM, Frank wrote:

  Squirrels too . Unless you get a head or upper spine shot they ain't hangin' around . I've seen them drag themselves off and claw their way up a tree with their back legs totally dead . I have declared war on the local squirrel population , they are apparently the major destroyers of my tomato patch .I figger if I kill all the ones that know there's a bounty there , the better chance the few tomatoes left will have a chance . There are still a lot of blossoms ... and they too deserve a chance . TOMATO LIVES MATTER !
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 8/15/2018 5:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Friend in a nearby development uses subsonic .22LR on them. Another, bothered by them, asked what to do and I suggested a pellet gun but now he uses his shotgun as with 40 acres he can do anything. He just wanted to keep them out when he was not around. Squirrel population bounces back but if you get rid of the locals that are already hanging around you probably remove most of the problem. They look cute but are nothing but tree rats.
On 8/15/2018 5:36 PM, Frank wrote:

  Funny you should mention shotguns ... I was considering using one , kinda like an instant gratification thing . I also (usually) use subsonic .22 ammo , and they seldom expire on the spot .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 8/15/2018 7:32 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I guess it depends on the noise level you can get away with. I can't shoot in my yard most of the time and the critters are not around when I might be able to shoot them. That's the beauty of a trap, it is always there and waiting to trap them. Then you can dispatch them in the trap as it can be a nuisance to transport a lot of them. I once had to take a half dozen trips to release squirrels before I finally caught the groundhog I was after.
On 8/15/2018 7:24 PM, Frank wrote:

  Frank , I live 12 miles from the nearest town in a clearing out in the woods ... noise is not a problem . There are neighbors , but we can only see one of them . In the winter , when the trees are bare .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 8/15/2018 9:19 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Trouble may come if someone hears a shot when not expected. I'm thinking of incident in friends deer camp that had neighbors calling the game warden in on us to check the camp. One of the hunters there had fired a few tracer rounds after dark just to see what they looked like and somebody living maybe a quarter mile away called the game warden.
On 8/16/2018 6:34 AM, Frank wrote:

  The neighbors are more likely to trigger off a few rounds than I am . Unless I'm sighting in something it's very rare to shoot more than one round ...
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 08/16/2018 07:58 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

s) have

3800 fps

shot they

of

g using

ing out in

here

I am .

We hear the constant crackle of gun fire all the time. Virtually no crime and everyone leave their car doors unlocked and the houses unlocked.
At night we hear the coyotes. (They keep the neighborhood outdoor cat population to a minimum. I don't crap on your lawn. Don't send your animals to crap on mine.)
Hmmmm. If I get too much zucchini ...
On 8/16/2018 10:58 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Then you don't have a problem.
On 08/15/2018 02:38 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

e been

ps MV ,

ain't

Death to squash bugs! Death to earwigs! Death to squirrels ???
Can you plow them under for fertilizer?
On 8/16/2018 10:41 AM, T wrote:

  I could , but I'd rather leave them out in the woods for the carrion-eaters .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 08/17/2018 07:43 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

t they

And you don't risk the carrion eater digging them up either.
Coyotes are amazing at cleaning up dead animals.