Hammerite, load of crap?

Had an old garden gate I've been repainting, decided to use Hammerite smooth.
What a mistake, forgotten how much I disliked this stuff. Thick, splodgey, impossible to apply thinly and near impossible brush the subsequent runs and sags out.
Gotta be some better metal paint out there, surely?
Got another gate I've got to paint up and don't want a repeat performance of dealing with splodgey runs and sags.
Would an aerosol spray be a better idea?
TIA
--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
Simon T wrote:

Your mistake is psychological, or perhaps semantic. You are thinking of Hammerite as paint.
Incidentally does anyone remember the USSR female shot putter, Slapabita Ameritonit ?

How would you define it?
--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
On 31/03/2012 21:38, Bill Wright wrote:

I remember the Russian striptease artiste - Eva Vestoff.

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 21:07:04 +0100, Simon T wrote:

That's your mistake, it doesn't "brush out" to a thin coat. Slap it on and leave it.

That's slapping too much on. B-)
I find the bigest problem is tiny bubbles, they leave pin prick holes in the covering. You really do need to apply two coats but with the xylene based stuff there was a fairly narrow window for the second coat otherwise you had (supposed to) wait several weeks IIRC.
--
Cheers
Dave.