They were OK this morning but she noticed the damage after lunch. Two of ou r barn cats hang around the back door, which should discourage birds and ro dents. We've had nighttime visits from raccoons, possums, and a coyote but those are rarely seen during the day.
Very strange; anyone have any idea about what could have caused this?
Paul
On 2020-05-16 19:29, Pavel314 wrote:

My place, it would be rabbits. A tip off would be that they just ate the tops off.
On Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 10:39:08 PM UTC-4, T wrote:

ave had an experience like this. My wife planted a row of large, golden mar igolds along part of the sidewalk that leads to the back door. They've been there for a few weeks now. This afternoon, something tore the three large flowers off one of the plants and left them on the lawn a few feet away. On ly one plant was damaged, the other nine or ten are unharmed.

f our barn cats hang around the back door, which should discourage birds an d rodents. We've had nighttime visits from raccoons, possums, and a coyote but those are rarely seen during the day.

They didn't eat any of the plants, just tore off the flowers and left them on the lawn. Could be though. I first thought maybe rabbits or woodchucks b ut they're usually too afraid of the cats to come that close to the house.
Paul
On 2020-05-16 20:05, Pavel314 wrote:

Around these parts, when folks plant things that the deer don't like, the deer will pull them out and throw them on the lawn. Maybe something like that happened?
T wrote: ...

if it is a new plant they're not used to they may be sampling it. often that is what it looks like that they are pulling out new plants, but that is only because the roots have not grown enough yet to keep the new plant in the ground when it is being sampled.
like any person who eats something they don't like they bite off some and then spit it out when it doesn't taste right. :)
it happens here quite often...
songbird
On 2020-05-17 05:08, songbird wrote:

Ya, bugs too. I will find some of my leaves with all kinds of holes in them. Then they leave the alone.
Pavel314 wrote: ...

likely suspects here would be deer, rabbits or groundhogs. check the surrounding area for deer tracks.
young deer can sample things not knowing if they are edible or not. this is common happening here on various plants.
even plants reputed to not be deer friendly have been sampled to death.
wish i could fence the whole area off as that would save so much damage, but Mom won't let me do it yet...
songbird
On 5/16/2020 7:29 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

In my neighborhood:
1) Squirrels. Tree rats simply laugh at my cats, and taunt them to give chase; they fear no cat. A squirrel may have tasted one and tossed it aside.
2) Rabbits. They typically fear cats, but they may sample the vegetation if given a safe opportunity.
3) Deer. It is common for deer to chomp the tops off flowers, taste them, then discard them if not tasty enough. Deer have no fear of cats.
4) Raccoons. While raccoons don't typically don't eat flowers, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the culprit. Raccoons have no fear of cats.
What other critters do you have roaming your neck of the woods?
RosemontCrest wrote: ...

they have small sharp teeth, they shred things, not a clean break or cut.

pretty much everything here at one time or another. skunks, possums, mink, muskrat, fox, coyote, ...
but more often than not the top four for damage here are deer, rabbit, groundhog, chipmunk (in that order). good fence works for the first three and a bit of air rifle hunting makes sure the last one doesn't get too repopulated. raccoons are an issue if you try to grow some plants that they like or if you use fish emulsion fertilizers they will pull out plants thinking there is some good food down in the ground... we don't grow sweet corn so they don't bother us here and i don't even consider them pests. they do useful things like eat hornet/wasp nests from behind/under the rocks.
luckily we don't have bear, wild pig, moose, elk... the bison down the road aren't free roaming either.
songbird
On 2020-05-17 04:31, RosemontCrest wrote:

enough. Deer have no fear of cats.
One of my customers uses a radio controlled toy car to chase deer. Deer don't fear yip dogs either.
On Monday, May 18, 2020 at 3:30:24 PM UTC-4, T wrote:

?enough. Deer have no fear of cats.

I bought a game camera which is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll set it up on the back porch so I can record anything going near the marigolds.
T wrote:

with a night scope and a flash bang of some kind that could be fun. mini-tank with big bore spark shooting noise maker. :)
in the end though a fence would be cheaper and nice to keep the ticks away. we've already found two deer ticks this year (not by them biting us) in the house brought in on clothes after working in areas where they come through the yard. i wrap the lil buggers in a bit of toilet paper and then chop them with scissors to make sure they are dead. they're very hard to kill.
hunting them in the fall would be good if i could bring myself to do it, but i'm not that hungry yet.
songbird
On 5/18/2020 8:30 PM, songbird wrote:

We have the Lone Star (IIRC) also known as seed ticks here . Little bastards have a mean bite and the irritation lasts for several days . I find a light rap with a small hammer ends their miserable live quite effectively . Playing the flame from a lighter does a good job too - for extra fun hold the lighter on them until they pop .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On 2020-05-18 18:30, songbird wrote:

?enough. Deer have no fear of cats.

Deer will jump of a 12 foot fence. The trick is to make sure they can see what in on the other side and they won't attempt it
On 5/20/2020 3:23 PM, T wrote:

Possibly. Deer can jump great heights.

The trick is to make sure that they can NOT see what is on the other side.
On 2020-05-20 15:29, RosemontCrest wrote:

I saw one jump a 12 foot chain link. From free standing. Freaked me out.
RosemontCrest wrote: ...

i have no desire to put up a solid fence.
6ft is sufficient here but 8ft is better.
also having various obstructions and uneven footing around makes it harder for them to try it.
songbird
On Wednesday, May 20, 2020 at 6:23:39 PM UTC-4, T wrote:

?enough. Deer have no fear of cats.

We were having problems with critters invading the garden so we bought a mo tion activated device that hooks up to the hose and noisily squirts a strea m of water when activated. It can be adjusted for range of squirting, from straight ahead to over 180 degrees and set for night, day, or both. Very se nsitive; we both got squirted when coming too close to the garden after dar k.
Paul
On 2020-05-21 07:12, Pavel314 wrote:

?enough. Deer have no fear of cats.

a motion activated device that hooks up to the hose and noisily squirts a stream of water when activated. It can be adjusted for range of squirtin g, from straight ahead to over 180 degrees and set for night, day, or bot h. Very sensitive; we both got squirted when coming too close to the gard en after dark.

I love it!
On 2020-05-18 18:30, songbird wrote:

Venison. Yuk Yuk Yuk Yuk.
Moose, elk. YUM!