Marigolds deter Rabbits?

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out. Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

Thanks,

Tim S.New Jersey

Reply to
Tim

I tried this once, and the rabbits ate the marigolds. No lie.

Reply to
Mitch

You're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to wear the marigolds and strangle the rabbits.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

No, you are supposed to use the marigold flowers to season roast rabbit. ;-d

Reply to
Omelet

We have at least three rabbits roamin our 1-1/2 acre propriety. So far, I've planted nothing they want - they seem to be content with the clover in the yard. I am wanting to plant some lettuce and spinach for the fall, I think that is where the trouble will start.

I just don't have the heart to kill (or even trap) these cute little creatures.

-Tim S. New Jersey

Reply to
Tim

Try some low set hotwires.

Reply to
Omelet

Try to think of them as rats that hop, it helps. Although wild rabbit, properly prepared can be delicious. then there's tree rats, aka squirrels; and sky rats, aka pigeons.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Mine hop over the low wire and under the high one. Well, at least bunnies don't clean you out wholesale like woodchucks or Bambi and family!

Gary Woods

I must agree that bunnies are cute... but there has got to be some kind of wire to stop them.

I have dogs.

Reply to
Omelet

Marigolds won't work.

Bunnies may be *cute*, but they carry a schload of parasites and disease. Fleas, worms of varying sorts, including tapeworm, Tuleremia. I have to worm my cat on a regular schedule, every three months, because he eliminates them and has had tapeworm in the far past. Not to mention the damge they do to gardens, trees, etc.

The solution is not deterence. The solution is elimination. Like George says, imagine them as rats......they will breed like rats as well. If you are going to eat them, *do not* dress them without wearing protection, particularly if you have any breaks in the skin on your hands.

RWS or Gamo.

Toughen up.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Omelet expounded:

Dogs work. The year after I lost Molly the bunnies started to venture into the garden. We pour male urine (!!), preferably morning urine, around the perimeter - not in the garden, but just outside. So far it seems to be working.

Reply to
Ann

Marigolds won't work. .22 LRHP will.

Ross

Reply to
rossr35253

Sure will! Great choice if suitable for conditions.

RWS model 48 or Gamo hunter 220.....both .177, 1100 fps, or any other

*real* air rifle.

Cheap, safer than .22, effective as all get out......and *quiet*!

Just depends upon yer situation. ;-)

Charlie.....who detests vermin infested, diseased, destructive, Hoppy Rats in HisSpace.

Reply to
Charlie

Honey, shotguns deter bunnies. Get real. (I have recipes.)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Check for pustules on the back leg meat too when you dress them out, as well as spotty/unhealthy looking livers.

Dad taught me what to look for when eating wild rabbits at a very young age. Obviously diseased bunny carcasses were not consumed.

Reply to
Omelet

That is interesting, but doesn't it cause a stink?

Since good fences make good neighbors (and good yard security) I have 6' perimeter fences in the back and 5' in front. The dogs have a nice fenced yard this way and don't bother my garden for the most part. The pair out back was starting to lay in my flower bed so I put some tomato cages in there to discourage them.

I don't suffer from (mammalian) garden predators. Insect predators are a different story sometimes... :-P

I also never get raided by deer and there is a small herd around here that often grazes right across the street.

Reply to
Omelet

I'll second the recommend for a GOOD air rifle. No way can I use a .22 here as there are no firearm discharges in the city limits.

Just DO eat the bunnies if you are going to shoot them? I'm sure that many of us can post recipes.

Reply to
Omelet

*SNIP*
*SNIP AGAIN*

thought it was ironic, my son is watching his veggie tales silly songs dvd, "do the moo shoo" and while I'm reading this part of the thread this song comes on:

the bunny song:

"Mr. Nezzer: The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny And now I'm feelin' sick in the head from the bunny. I didn't eat my salad, I didn't eat my steak I had too much candy, got a tummy ache! I need to eat good food to help me to grow I'll obey my momma, 'cause she loves me so!

Yeah, I'll go to church! And I'll go to school! That stuff is important, and I ain't no fool!

Asparagus singers: I don't want no pickles, I don't want no honey I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny! I don't want to tell you a joke that is funny I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny! I don't want a tissue when my nose is runny I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny! I don't want to play on a day that is sunny I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny!

Mr. Nezzer: The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny The bunny, the bunny, oh, I ate the bunny And now I'm feelin' sick in the head from the bunny."

how appropriate....lol

Reply to
rachael simpson

If you were in Canada, a "good" air rifle or pistol would be considered a "firearm", i.e any air gun with a muzzle velocity greater than 152.4 m/sec (approx. 500 fps).

I have lots of delicious recipes using rabbit. We raised rabbits commercially for years (New Zealand Whites) and also enjoyed them at table. I wouldn't even consider eating a wild rabbit. Too many parasites, viral and bacterial diseases including tularemia. Have you ever seen the liver out of a wild rabbit? All those little white spots. Not on my plate thanks.

Ross.

Reply to
rossr35253

Unfortunately, here in Canada, thanks to our previous Liberal government, if I want to acquire a "real" air rifle nowadays I'd have to renew my Firearms Acquisition Certificate and then register it. Any air rifle with a muzzle velocity greater than 152.4 m/sec. (approx. 500 fps) would fall into the same category as if I was to buy a .460 Weatherby Magnum.

Ross.

Reply to
rossr35253