It's Coming

The K-rails and sandbags are in place.

The rains are coming ashore along with the winds.

Three storms in sucession with 4"-8" rain at the beach, double or triple that in the burn areas.

Mud slides are expected.

People are packed, ready to evacuate if required.

From the sounds of it, it's going to be quite a ride.

To the best of my knowledge, Abby is still in port.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The rains got here, about 2" outside my window, other places more.

The mud slides have started.

One guy had 7 ft of mud that slid into his back yard which he needs to get out before next rain tomorrow lest he finds the whole house under mud from the next rain.

Estimate 25 dump truck loads will do it.

Have no clue where they will haul it.

2nd storm comes in on Tuesday.

Stay tuned.

Lew .

----------------------------------------------- "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Coast is getting hammered here in Oregon, but we're pretty far inland.

Reply to
LDosser

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:03:16 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

We were supposed to be hit by those up here but so far, it has been less than 1/4 inch. Just a few very minor sprinkles have hit so far today. I heard the wind gust twice yesterday, maybe 12 knots, not the

43mph gusts they predicted for us. Don't get me wrong: I'm -glad- it hasn't hit us...yet.

My buddy in LoCal said that the Homey Despots and Blowes are all out of sandbags. I told him if worse comes to worst, he and his wife can just jump into his C-Dory in the side yard and either tether there or float safely out to sea until the storms stop.

Good luck, guys. Now's a good time to start practicing holding your breath.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well it has been an interesting day here in SoCal, my adopted home.

What was expected to be a light rain today turned out to be more like a cow taking dead aim on a flat rock.

Take your choice: Snow in the mountains.

15-20 ft waves at the beach Mud slides in the foothills. Would you believe tornadoes(waterspouts) at the beach which tore a marina apart as well as typical housing damage.

A 40 ft catamaran was picked up about 50 ft, flipped around, and dropped a few slips down.

Tornadoes are definitely not normal for SoCal; however, waterspouts are another thing.

Not sure what this will end up be classified, but flipped cars were part of their legacy.

Streets flooded with 3-4 ft of water.

Mandatory evacuation by 9:00AM tomorrow in the mudslide areas.

Estimated the will not be allowed until next Monday.

It sucks but it beats being dead.

More rain forecast for tomorrow which is expected to be heavier than today.

Hang on, it's going to be quite a sleigh ride.

Lew

------------------------------------ "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We've been getting hammered in the SF Bay Area as well. LIghtning is a rare thing here, but this storm has produced some pretty nice booms and rolling thunder that lasts

10 or 15 seconds. Winds gust, but nothing in the 50-60 mph range - yet.

We don't get much "weather" in the Bay Area. But when we do - it's a doozy - exaggerated by its rareness. Drivers don't seem to understand that when the road conditions change, so should their driving mode change. Accidents everywhere - and people still don't slow down. Calfornia drivers seem to believe that driving at 70 mph - is a constitutional right.

Reply to
charlie b

charlie b wrote in news:4B578280.67D9 @accesscom.com:

Charlie,

I hear ya. I spoke to my son who lives in SF near Candlestick Park. He said a crash of thunder woke him up around 3am the other night. He rides mass transit so does not have to deal with the idiots on the road. Down here in San Diego, they drive like maniacs regardless of the road conditions. I try to stay off the freeways when it rains down here.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Were you the Jaques in Oregon quoted on CNN re Obamacare?

Reply to
LDosser

Thirty years ago they used to slow to a crawl on the freeways when it rained. Must be a lot of newbies!

Reply to
LDosser

Well were are ending the 3rd day of our little dance with the weather, and it has finally stopped raining outside our window with a little over 2" in the gage for today and 5" of rain in the gage since Monday when this all started.

The ground is totally saturated so the rains just drain to the ocean.

If there was only a way to capture this water and store it for future use.

It could help solve a lot of problems.

Sit tight, another storm is on the way tomorrow, but we are expected to be clear by Saturday.

We'll see.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

------------------------------ Down here we get to watch the condemmed condo in your area get ready to slide down onto the beach.

-----------------------------------

-------------------------------- We had a bunch of 50+ the last couple of days.

-----------------------------

----------------------------- Yep, guess we will just have to wait for Darwin to kick in.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:48:55 -0800, the infamous "LDosser" scrawled the following:

I rather doubt it. I haven't been inundated by other news services wanting my opinion yet. (I pray I never am.)

What did they say?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

We are getting heavy rains. Finally, washing away the road salt and the lawns are greening up. When I lived in LA, when it started to rain after months of drought, the roads would be initially very slick with engine oil. I'll take January over July-August any day. Rainy days are good days for woodworking anyway.

Reply to
Phisherman

It's all down to AGW ...

Reply to
LDosser

This is the 4th day, but we're gaining on it, I think.

Another 3/4" in the rain gage outside my window, headed toward 6" in the gage since Monday.

Here on the left coast, take your pick, S/D, L/A or S/F, they are all getting hammered.

Saturday is coming.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

We had some folks head out to Ridgecrest Wed & Thu and even the desert is getting hammered. All the way from Ridgecrest to Tucson -- they were in rain the whole way and all of it heavy rain.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

This is day 5 of our dance with the rain drops.

Continued to rain from very early morning until late afternoon when a cold front arrived.

Apparently the rain has moved out headed for points east after leaving another 3/4" in the gage outside my window.

Ended up with about 6-1/2" of rain since Monday.

Weather Forecast called for between 4"-8" depending on location so have to give credit where credit is due.

Expect to have a dry weekend but more rain expected next week.

After all it's winter.

Interesting report about Palm Springs.

Aveage annual rainfall is about 5", so far they have 4-1/2" from this storm.

All points east best keep the hatches battened down, this bad boy is headed your way.

Hope they find the boy in AZ.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:38:41 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote (in article ):

Been watching these storms on the radar disappear as soon as they cross AZ into NM. We got a whopping 0.20 inches out of it all.......

Reply to
Bruce

------------------------------ Parts of AZ got hit pretty hard and it looks like parts of the upper MidWest are also getting a dose.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The good news is our AZ reservoirs are all full :-)

Reply to
Doug Winterburn