OT: Silly philosophical quiz

Describe mathematically/logically why the following cannot be done:

1 driver and 1 car are in London. 1 car is in Glasgow. Get both cars in London along with the driver. You may not use other vehicles/people/public transport. You are not a super fit athlete that wishes to walk or run that far.

This is a real world problem - someone buying a new car privately.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Rent a tow bar or dolly and tow 1 car with the other. BTDT.

Reply to
Anonymous

On Dec 8, 2020 at 3:14:18 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0vbup8l6wdg98l@glass>:

Why can't one car tow the other? Such an obvious answer to how it COULD be done... but you are saying it cannot so presumably that cannot be done.

Reply to
Snit

EXCELLENT! 10/10 :-D

Reply to
David_B

On Dec 8, 2020 at 3:55:13 PM MST, ""\"Retired"@home.com" wrote snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That does not answer the question of why it cannot be done... it suggests a way it can be. :)

Reply to
Snit

Unless this interferes with the idea.

FromTheRafters

go to the Brit version of U-Haul and rent a tow bar.

Reply to
rbowman

get a wee glasgow ned to steal it and take it to london

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Indeed, but I'd actually never though of it! I've always pestered friends and neighbours for a lift.

Hang on, you can't rent a tow bar. It's fixed to your car, is a lot of hassle to fit, and is designed specifically for each car.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Nobody gives a f*ck about those laws. I once took an entire 3 piece suite along the motorway on an old wooden trailer I'd borrowed from my neighbour, with it held down with washing line.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not all drivers are:

Commander Kinsey

Bollocks, it was a very simple question.

1 car and 1 driver are located in town A. 1 car is located in town B. A and B are far apart. Why can't you get all three things to town A?
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would it wear the clutch?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Then you have a ned in London. How do you get rid of him?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Towing requires someone in the rear car to steer it, unless you have a fancy stiff towing bar. Cheaper to get a bus.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You can't rent a thing that has to be bolted onto your car and has to be designed specifically for that car. Last time I looked it was £150 in labour to fit one. Not the kinda thing you just stick on for a day. Might as well buy it if it's that much hassle to fit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Lots more slip when starting off -- for one thing. You are over doubling the weight to get started.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I have not checked it out,but don't they make a two dolly ? Something like a very short 2 wheel trailer where you put the front or rear wheels of the towed vehicle on ?

How about just a full size trailer to put the car on ?

Hell, just put one car on top of the other and be done with it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Don't you have any friends with a licence?

Transporter is a viable method.

Coach can be cheaper that other forms of public transport.

Hire a "fancy stiff towing bar".

I have hitch-hiked further but in the current Covid crisis I doubt that would be a practical alternative.

Perhaps this is now your opportunity to get fit on a bike.

Reply to
Fredxx

The VW engineers didn't expect anyone to be towing a '73 Impala.

Reply to
Kelly Phillips