OT: Silly philosophical quiz

Commander Kinsey has brought this to us :

That is indeed the question, why *CAN'T* you? There is not enough information in the post to determine why it *CAN'T* be done.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

On Dec 9, 2020 at 1:39:16 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote <rqrcli$1g96$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

I noted the same thing. I think he perhaps asked a question other than the one he intended. I did suggest towing as I noted it though. :)

Reply to
Snit

On Dec 9, 2020 at 10:55:18 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0vddegtgwdg98l@glass>:

Interesting. Here getting a bus would be quite expensive. Smaller cars are much cheaper.

Oh.

Not quite what you meant. :)

I think you are stuck getting a tow bar... even if not cheap.

Reply to
Snit

On Dec 9, 2020 at 10:44:22 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote <op.0vdcwderwdg98l@glass>:

You never thought of what you were asking? Then who did? :)

Ditto -- though in a pandemic that is more challenging and less safe.

That makes things more complex. Certainly there must be SOME temporary method... even if you have to rent a car.

Reply to
Snit

Snit presented the following explanation :

There was no question, see below.

"Describe mathematically/logically why the following cannot be done:"

But you are right about towing, I don't see why it would be a problem as stipulated. In fact it seems so obvious an answer that even the OP should have already considered it if that was what the OP was really asking.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

You may be correct. I live in a golden past when cars had real frames and real bumpers and you could clamp a tow bar to the bumper.

rbowman

They're not familiar with Yankee ingenuity and redneck engineering. When Honda designed the Cub they didn't think a Csmbodian could get his entire family, a pig, and three chickens on it either.

Reply to
rbowman

The Thames. Have you no imagination?

Reply to
rbowman

That's exactly the type I used some years ago, along with a tow bar like these

And I did not need anybody to steer the towed car. It tracked behind just fine. 1200 miles from IL to TX.

Reply to
Anonymous

Gremlin explained on 10/12/2020 :

Incorrect! If a tow rope, or a straight single bar is used for towing, then someone needs to be in the driving seat of the towed vehicle to brake and steer it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

When i bought a car from a dealer in Edinburgh whilst living in the midlands of England, the dealer delivered it on a vehicle transporter.

Otherwise i would just have driven up with a friend/relative to collect the car.

Reply to
Jack Harry Teesdale

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. expressed precisely :

Would it be correct to call that second person another 'driver' in the context of the 'philosophical quiz'?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

OK possibly not very environmentally sound but why not buy a 2nd/3rd/WHY hand car (legal but a heap) drive to your destination and dump it (or sell it for a small amount) then drive new car home.

Didn't Topgear do this and found out it was actually a lot cheaper than the train?

Reply to
soup

On Dec 10, 2020 at 5:08:08 AM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote <rqt337$1pb3$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org>:

I would find it an acceptable term. The towed car is not being moved on its own power but there is still someone driving it.

Reply to
Snit

Yes, they need to know the basics of operating a car, and they legally have to have a license I would assume.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That fails to get the two mentioned cars in London "without" using other vehicles.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Then the rule about help is broken, you would have two drivers.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

1 car is in Glasgow . Doesn't say it is a third hand 'heap' .
Reply to
soup

I didn't say that it was, and the original description in the OP didn't say that it wasn't. Serious lack of information about why it might be impossible.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Actually not easy. When I last looked for £500 or less cars here, there were only three, and all of them were 25 miles away.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey