My new high MPG pick-up "truck"...

In the past, I would always use my pick-up truck for anything and everything construction related. Even for going to the store and buying say a 5 gallon can of something.

Yesterday I needed to go to the store and buy a bunch of construction stuff....

I thought about it... I would not be buying anything long... hummm, maybe I could fit it all in my 38 MPG hatchback car?

And I'll be darned if everything fit. Just barely made it, but I crammed it all in there. So then I filled up with gas on way back (tank half full)... $9.00, not bad!

I think I'll use the car whenever possible from now on....

Reply to
Bill

It is not just the manufacturers who are at fault. It is the Testosterone based buying habits of the American public. The car companies are making what we want to buy. Or Did want to buy. I hope the car companies are ready to change. Last month was the first drop in SUV sales figures in years, but it was only by 1%.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

I noticed the same thing. Also seemed to see a larger proportion of smaller vehicles and an absence of monster SUV's, RV's, etc.

I heard that a Chevy Suburban is now costing around $150 for a fill-up, so I can see why...

Reply to
Bill

As you alluded to, the car companies are willing to make/sell whatever you're willing to buy. However, if gas prices stay where they are today, the mark-up on fuel efficient cars will be like it was in the '70's, and they will be giving away SUV's. Until recently, they were giving away the efficient stuff and charging out the wazzoo for SUV's. I'd hate to be the owner of a 3 month old Mega SUV. Resale has gone in the toilet for now, and fuel expenses are 50% or more higher than expected.

Here in the Atlanta area, I've been amazed at the lack of traffic this weekend. High gas prices and the lingering fear of shortages (yes, there are stations without gas, but I suspect that's because of last week's run on gas) are keeping people from making unnecessary trips. I love it, because it is amazing how much better traffic flows when volume is down 25% or more...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Who said the tank was empty? Or close to empty? Hell, I could go back to the gas station right now and fill up for about $3 !!

Reply to
tomkanpa

I have a 94 Ford Aspire that I am driving more and more. Besdes the obvious fuel savings over the extended cab 3/4 ton Silverado, it is so much easier to just zip right into parking spots rather than drive around the parking lots trying to find a space the truck will fit. What I can't figure out is not just the size of vehicles people are driving, but the WAY they drive. I have a friend with a Lincoln Town Car, and I am terrified to ride with him. He takes off from a light or stop sign just short of burning rubber, goes one block to the next stop, and just as you think he is not going to stop, slams on the brakes and stops in about one car length. Besides the gas, he gets about 15K to a set of brake pads. This isn't some dumb kid either. This guy is 66 y/o. His 30+ y/o son is even worse. I absolutely refuse to ride with him period. I would bet that on average, people could get 3 more mpg if they tried. I get about 13 on the Dodge van at work-- most of the others are getting about 9-10. It has 70K on the original Michelins. Replaced the original brake pads at 48K, back brakes original. The other's tires and brakes are going just over half those mileages. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Okay, that does it. I'm using my Vespa from now on.

-- J.C.

Reply to
J.C.

Don't laugh, when I was in Taiwan last year I saw a full-size kitchen table being carried on a scooter!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I think there will be a lot more thinking like that from now on. The days of cheap gas are gone forever. The prices may go down some but not much. It's time for all of us to start thinking sensibly.

Of course, the first thing that needs to happen is that the auto-makers need to start making fuel efficient cars instead of pumping out the monster SUVs, and double cab pickups. Time to go back to the early 80's when small cars were "cool".

Reply to
User Example

They will make them but in the past few years, no one was buying them. Attitudes have to change as you point out that small cars can be "cool"

I'm doing my best. I'm only driving down hill from no on.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yep, what do you think a ten year old Prius needing batteries is worth! Not much is my bet! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

The attitudes will change all by themselves. No need to call out the PC Police.

Alternatively, you can put larger wheels on the back and small ones on the front. Then you'll always be going down hill.

Reply to
keith

You can still buy "work trucks". They may not be sitting on the showroom floor, but they can be ordered. OTOH, I see them all the time in the Boston and NYC papers as bait.

Do you NEED fancy interriors? Power windows/locks? AC? 4WD? Work trucks are available for about 60% of what the weekend-warrior pays for a car replacement. Though when my son grew up and I no longer needed two "cars" (or minivans) I bought a small pickup. As a weekend warrior myself, I like to be able to fetch a sheet of plywood (or snowblower ;), or take stuff to the dump. I also like some of the creature comforts of a car.

Reply to
keith

I'm not usually for government interference but I think now might be a good time to offer some kind of incentive to auto-makers and buyers to help sell the efficient cars... of course, I guess you could consider the current administration's work in getting the current gas prices to record highs an incentive.

Reply to
User Example

The automakers will make anything that the public wants to buy. Last time I was at the dealership no one held a gun to my head and said that I must buy a gas guzzling SUV. They make the SUV because that is what people are buying. All these dealerships also offer smaller more fuel efficient vehicles (except hummer and perhaps a couple others).

Small cars are more "cool" now than they ever were. Most of the kids want a Honda that they can soup up today. Those that drive a SUV do so because it was a hand me down from their parents much the way I got stuck driving the old station wagon geek mobile back when I started driving.

In my opinion the first thing that needs to happen is the insurance policies need to be rewritten so that one person can own two vehicles without paying almost full load on two vehicles when they can only drive one at a time.

I would LOVE to buy a small super fuel efficient car to drive back and forth the work and to do errands in. I HAVE to have a vehicle capable of towing and able to seat six in reasonable comfort. If I buy a second car I am looking at $150 a month for insurance plus a payment on the vehicle itself. If the new vehicle saves me 1/3 on my now $300 a month gasoline bill I am still hundreds in the hole at the end of the month. End result.. I'm driving a full size vehicle back and forth to work every day wasting gas.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

My son, now 35 and has owned a 3000GT, Trans-Am, Camero,, etc, but still complains how difficult it was to drive a '71 Ford wagon when he was in high school.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I drive a large pickup truck because I am a general contractor and I may need to haul, tow, etc. on a daily basis. Due to the gas prices, I have often been riding my motorcycle to work, only to discover that I need to move some tools to another jobsite. I then drive all the way home to get my truck and return to the jobsite (which may be 2-30 miles from home.

I have found one silver lining in this gas price surge. 35 years ago, cowboys, ranchers and construction workers drove trucks. They were fairly reasonable back then. No frills, but you could get a good truck without taking out a second mortgage on the house. Since everyone and their mother wants trucks and SUVs now, the price of those vehicles have skyrocketed. Typical construction workers can barely afford to buy what they NEED to do their job.

Now that gas prices are shooting up, the demand will go down and perhaps those of us who NEED those types of vehicles will be able to afford them. I am constantly looking at trucks and the first sign that demand was going down was the Chevy employee discount on trucks. I am hoping that that trend continues and that prices get back to reasonable levels.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Last time you were at the dealership did you see any cars with gas mileage in the 50s or 60s with sticker prices under $13K? I doubt it. Maybe if they had them people would buy them. Especially or kids. It could be done and is done in other countries.

Reply to
User Example

"J.C." wrote in news:UsXSe.112174$ snipped-for-privacy@fe11.news.easynews.com:

you could tow one of those little bicycle trailers! Or a side car! ;-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Giving away the efficient stuff? Have you ever priced the fuel-efficient cars? They have always been sold at a premium over regular cars. My high-efficiency Honda cost $1000 over the price of the same car with a regular engine. That was 13 years ago - still runs well and now I'm really saving at the pump compared to others.

Check the VW TDI compared to thother VW models or the Prius compared to the comparably equipped Toyotas. Fuel efficiency has always come at a premium.

SUVs on the other hand were just sold as expensive. I never understood why someone would pay a $5000+ premium over a similarly equipped van.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly